Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Just a liittle word about the site

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

Hi,

I just visited the KL Fan club website, and, it is very nice. But, I have noted some kind of bug. Here it is : The counter at the bottom part of the window, that states "visitors : xxxxx", works completely incorrectly. It counts the hits, not the actual visits.

You have to make a difference between hits (a click inside the site or to the site) and a visit (only one as long as the user stays on the site). Difference between a visit and a visitor is more difficult to make, because you can't use IP logging (people use dynamic IPs often, depending on ISPs) either a cookie. But, at least you can identify a visit.

It is very simple to do with PHP, and I think it would show better statistics. Or, you could correct the name to be hits and not visitors.

Just my .02, but I think it would be good (to correct that).

Edited by IcePanther, 13 February 2007 - 12:23 AM.

IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#2 JanRei

JanRei

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hello,

for me the counter seems to count visitors. Does it increase the counter each time you open a link?

#3 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hello,

for me the counter seems to count visitors. Does it increase the counter each time you open a link?

Yes.

I use Firefox. JS and cookies are on.

Edited by IcePanther, 13 February 2007 - 01:05 PM.

IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo

#4 JanRei

JanRei

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

I think that another user visited the page in the meantime, and because of this the counter is increased. For me the counter is increased only sometimes.
According to the manual of Joomla this counter should show "unique visits".

#5 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

I think that another user visited the page in the meantime, and because of this the counter is increased. For me the counter is increased only sometimes.
According to the manual of Joomla this counter should show "unique visits".

Okay... But that occured on each click of mine, so that would mean each time I clicked (like, every 5~10 seconds) there was a new visitor... I admit this is a possiblity, but still it looks a bit strange to me. I may have been a bit paranoid, though.

Sorry :P
IcePanther

#6 JanRei

JanRei

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

Well, as far as I could find out the counter is supposed to count only new visitors and not hits. Of course I can not rule out that there is a problem in the way visitors are counted, but I think that this would be a bug in Joomla then...

(Sorry for late answer, I had no time for Kaspersky Club the last days)

#7 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

Hello,
Now I have another problem with the site. I couldn't edit my posts since yesterday because they were no 'Edit' button although I have logged in successfully :( ...
So, how can I edit my posts?
This post is the only editable post, the other can't be edited...

Edited by Sakuranbo, 30 May 2007 - 08:10 AM.

#8 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hello,
Now I have another problem with the site. I couldn't edit my posts since yesterday because they were no 'Edit' button although I have logged in successfully :( ...
So, how can I edit my posts?
This post is the only editable post, the other can't be edited...

What part are you specifically talking about?
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#9 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

What part are you specifically talking about?

The 'Edit' buttons which are usually appear on the bottom of my posts are gone. It only appear on the bottom of this post and my one last post before this. Because there's no 'Edit' button, I can't edit my other posts...

---
Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood this topic ;) . This problem is on this KL Club Forum, not the Fan Club site... I'm so sorry... :(
So, is this a malfunction of this site ;) ?

Edited by Sakuranbo, 30 May 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#10 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

The 'Edit' buttons which are usually appear on the bottom of my posts are gone. It only appear on the bottom of this post and my one last post before this. Because there's no 'Edit' button, I can't edit my other posts...

---
Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood this topic ;) . This problem is on this KL Club Forum, not the Fan Club site... I'm so sorry... :(
So, is this a malfunction of this site ;) ?

I don't have a problem here. I know that there are some threads in the regular forum where the edit button is gone.

#11 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

I don't have a problem here. I know that there are some threads in the regular forum where the edit button is gone.

Maybe I'm only allowed to edit my posts in the same day, because those two 'Edit' buttons which are appear yesterday are gone today. Anyway, thanks a lot :good: !

#12 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

Maybe I'm only allowed to edit my posts in the same day, because those two 'Edit' buttons which are appear yesterday are gone today. Anyway, thanks a lot :drinks: !

I think indeed I recall that I read in some thread that there's a maximum delay after which you can't edit your post (ecept if you're a moderator/admin, of course), to prevent discussions to become completely messed up if someone edits his/her post after many replies, or something alike. However, I don't recall what's exactly the time value of that delay.
IcePanther

#13 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

I think indeed I recall that I read in some thread that there's a maximum delay after which you can't edit your post (ecept if you're a moderator/admin, of course), to prevent discussions to become completely messed up if someone edits his/her post after many replies, or something alike. However, I don't recall what's exactly the time value of that delay.

It is not really a time difference. Some topics are better for editting your post than others. Otherwise the threads will be a big mess :(

#14 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:14 PM

It is not really a time difference. Some topics are better for editting your post than others. Otherwise the threads will be a big mess :D

So, I need to ask an administrator or a moderator if I really want to edit my posts... Well, I want to edit something at 'First used kaspersky'.

#15 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

So, I need to ask an administrator or a moderator if I really want to edit my posts... Well, I want to edit something at 'First used kaspersky'.

For some parts yes...
You can put it here or send me an PM about what part or post :D