Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

How do you have your software set up.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

First thing I do is turn all settings up when I install, everything is set to high in the A/V, scanning is set to high, and click Riskware box too. A/H is set to monitor all ports . Delete all application rules, and set them as I go.

How do you run your defense ? Do you like to run as is. Default ? Or modified, and tweaked. :)

Like a car or bike; would you make that engine work ? :)

Attached Thumbnails

• hot_motor.jpg

#2 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

Also when I install, I turn everything to high except for the file-av, add riskware, set to scan all ports, tweak AIC not to allow certain things to run without consent or not tu run as child, add processes like OO defrag to trusted zone and AIC.

I like my PC to be like, to follow your car analogy :) , a small army tank, with a powerful engine and set up not to let anything enter. And to blast malware away, too :) .

char_leclerc.jpg

Edited by IcePanther, 12 October 2006 - 01:13 AM.

IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#3 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Then my PC is like the Pentagon ;). I don't like to get paranoid without an excuse. I set it however it's lighter for my system. No one hacks me, no one wants to :).
Regards,
Michael

#4 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

With Proactive Defense enabled, protection against potentially dangerous software checked, stealth mode for both trusted zone and Internet zone, my computer is as safe as the Great Wall. :search:
Posted Image

#5 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Most notifications switched off and auto actions applied. PDM on full prompts though. Stealth off, due to me being on a LAN behind a router.
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#6 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

Whizard, I see you mention Stealth no being checked because of a router. Does that check box affect it that much ?

Reason being, I tried adding a router the other day to a modem/router, and found I was reaching the IP addresses, but it seemed there was some sort of DNS issue, as nothing would load, even though I got an initial connection.

#7 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

Having Stealth mode enabled prevents file sharing on the LAN between computers. And since I am behind a NAT (Network Address Translation Device = Router), there is no need for me to stealth. Since the Internet is on the port of a router, I do not have to worry about direct attacks.

In your case probably there is a DHCP configrational problem. Since DHCP relies on broadcasting (your computer will broadcast to all network notes on a subnet to find the DHCP server, which will configure it with an IP address). Sometimes though the router and modem are integrated together with DHCP server in one device. I guess it really depends which device offers you an IP address.
~^Whizard^~

#8 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:29 AM

Having Stealth mode enabled prevents file sharing on the LAN between computers. And since I am behind a NAT (Network Address Translation Device = Router), there is no need for me to stealth.

I am behind a router/adsl modem in one and it doesnt seem to cause issues, but then again, I dont do file sharing. Thanks for the tip though.

In your case probably there is a DHCP configrational problem. Since DHCP relies on broadcasting (your computer will broadcast to all network notes on a subnet to find the DHCP server, which will configure it with an IP address). Sometimes though the router and modem are integrated together with DHCP server in one device. I guess it really depends which device offers you an IP address.

Yes there is, I am trying to add another router for learning as well as logging options and SPI, and that exactly is what is happening, I thought maybe the stealthing might have caused it, but even with another firewall the issue remains. I'll get there.

#9 br34ch

br34ch

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

I've set up the latest version of KIS with most paranoid settings.I think any kind of malware won't go through.
P.S: I know,I'm naive.:)
Posted Image

#10 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:49 AM

This has something to do with broadcast containment. DHCP uses broadcasts to assign the IP address. If you are on a different subnet you will not be able to reach the DHCP server.
~^Whizard^~

#11 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:27 AM

There was an option "clone the MAC address" that fixed it. I got a bit off topic. But it's on the right track for piggybacking the routers(next step)

#12 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Im not that paranoid. :rolleyes:
I do the following:
- enable third malware category,
- enable the scan of archives & installation packages in the file-av,
- disable task manager protection
- delete acrobat.exe from the critical applications list (becasue it always bugs when trying to load a new module from the temp which always has different file name & size
- enable new and changed files for the startup scan
-disable sound notification
-add utorrent to the trusted appplications list with the option not to scan network traffic
-add proxyplus to the trused applications list with the option not to scan traffic on port 443 (certificate errors on another pc)
-enable ssl scanning for all ports,
-configure zone tab (have 3 trusted & 2 internet zones)

But i don't rely on kis that much, i sometimes surf with it disabled/exited and don't see any issues.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#13 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

It's not really paranoia Lucian, just thought SPI might be a good add, and it gives me some networking practice using the 2.

Thanks for the detail on what makes you happy.

#14 trjam1257

trjam1257

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

lucianbara, I am curious, what are you using when you have Kis disabled. :)

#15 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

you mean for protection, nothing except eyes & brain.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)