Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

First used Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 TonyW

TonyW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

I started using Kaspersky products in 2004. Before that I used Trend's PC-Cillin for a number of years. I even still have version 3 of that AV on a CD that came with a magazine. That's well old now.

I have tested out a number of other AVs just to see how they run, but after discovering Kaspersky I've no intention of switching back to Trend or any other AV.

#17 dawgg

dawgg

Veteran

• Founders
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

I used to use Norton yearsss ago (when i was a kid) for a year-or-2 because that was the only one i had heard of. Then my crack got blacklisted (sorry, but i was a kid back then).
Switched to AVG free for 1-2 years untill I got infected.
Switched to NOD (to try to remove infection because it was highly recommended in forums)... deleted worm, but kept coming back after restarting and NOD could only delete the *.exes (infected files), not disinfect, so it corrupted many of my programs.
Got pissed off because the worm kept coming back, so switched to Kaspersky5 (because highly rated with a detection comparison i saw)... cleared the worms and they didnt come back. Used Kaspersky5 for few weeks, then went back to NOD because KAV5 was a major resource-hog.

Tried out KAV6 (when it came out, hoping it will be lighter and because it was highly rated in detection rate comparasons) and LOVED it!... Much lighter than KAV5 and had the PDM which I thought was an amazing addition to any AV... now dumped ZAfree and upgraded to KIS... been 4-5 months and haven't considered changing it since :)

#18 ccasper

ccasper

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hope you enjoyed the read, and look forward to hearing how you came about using these products, and joining the Fan Club.

Hrm. Back in the late 90's, I was working as an anti-virus tech for AOL's Virus Information Center. I was working there when McAfee bought out Dr Solomon's Software (1997 ish), ripped out the 'engine' and slapped it in their own program. Chucking out the old engine which they swore up and down was the greatest in the known universe. It occasionally had a habit of wiping folks' hard drives when it cleaned boot viruses.

There was an AVP tech that visited the message boards, I wish I knew who it was. Very nice person, very knowledgable. Great software, I started recommending it to AOL customers with virus/malware issues. Unfortunately, McAfee and AOL signed a deal where AOL would "promote" McAfee software. I left. AOL corporate politics were horrible. They more or less called their employee process "churn and burn".

Stayed in the Army for a few years, got out and started working in the private sector. We were running Symantec, which we're not happy with and wanted to research alternatives. So I remembered AVP and looked it up.

Low and behold, Kaspersky. We're still transitioning, but I'm a much happier person without Symantec.

#19 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

We were running Symantec, which we're not happy with and wanted to research alternatives. So I remembered AVP and looked it up.

Low and behold, Kaspersky. We're still transitioning, but I'm a much happier person without Symantec.

It has it's good points, but the fact it's bloated, and it can be corrupted with malware, the good points are forgotten :cray:

#20 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

After trying a lot of the suppliers from Panda, Norton to Trend and BitDefender. I found KIS.
My pc was slow and unforutunately I got infected by a virus.

First one for me was v5 I did not like the GUI but it was really effective. Then came v6 I was a goner for KIS. Now after having I think about a 1000 beta test versions on my computer I won't have another on it anymore.

fast and effective and can't wait testing v7.

EDIT: LeoMax nice avator
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#21 Accelerator

Accelerator

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Well, till now I've never used Kaspersky itself. I have only used KAV engine powered products and intend to continue doing so till I am old enough to go to work. The biggest reason is that it is too costly for me at the moment, clones are available cheaper. :)

I upgraded from McAfee VirusScan to eScan. McAfee was OK, but I didn't particularly like it, and I took eScan because it had the Kaspersky engine. In the end, eScan didn't turn out to be such a good product as I expected, but at least its malware detection was top-notch. I used it for a full year, and then switched to NOD32 because eScan was heavy and lacked a few features (such as a quarantine). :lol:

After using NOD32 for more than a year, I was not particularly happy with some things with the product (no need to reveal specifics and incite bashing), I tried BitDefender for a while, which was pretty good actually, till they launched the version 10 which is unfortunately very heavy on my system. So, I searched again and again to see what I can get, and finally narrowed down my choices to 2 products: ZoneAlarm AV (which uses KAV engine) and AVG Internet Security (which has become very competitive with Intel's investment and the acquisition of Ewido and the integration of Ewido technology into AVG), and I'm still deciding which one of them is better. There is, another one that I noticed called Steganos, which appears to be a rebrand of KAV/KIS but I have refrained from considering it due to some questions regarding license renewal and upgrades which have not been answered clearly.

So, as you can see, I'm not exactly a "fan" of Kaspersky, but I don't outright hate it either. :(

#22 Littlem129

Littlem129

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

I am one of those that used McAfee and Norton, learned better and tried some free programs.
I first learned about Kaspersky through AOL AVS. I am a AOL dial-up user, I know what your thinking AOL, but it's the fastest dial-up I can get. Anyway I used AOL AVS and Windows firewall together. I liked AOL AVS, but I had problems getting free firewalls to work with it.
I started searching for something else that uses the Kaspersky engine and found Defender Pro, which uses KAV and Hacker. It was cheaper than KIS and I was low on money so I bought DP.
I have now upgraded to KIS and I will never look back. Everything else is just a memory, including the viruses and torjans that I got with McAfee and Norton and a couple of the free programs.
I am a tried and true KIS user and I am hooked for life.
Kaspersky is the Best!!! :lool: :)

You only live once, enjoy life and make the most of it!

KIS 15.0.1.415(B)
WIN 7 SP1 3GB RAM
DSL (finally!)
MBAM (on demand only)

#23 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Welcome to the forums Littlem.

Hopefully you will enjoy the forums here. The people here are helpful and good natured, hopefully we can all keep
this for everyone.

Sorry on that minor hiccup, I was the one that was confused over who was who,
hopefully you haven't been offended in any way over it, and accept my appolagies for
confusing you with someone else.

:)

#24 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

The first AV program I use was Trend Micro PCCillin. I used it because it has been pre-installed with my Windows 98 PC. That was my first PC, when I was a child (I'm 7 years old at that time). You know, that time I don't know what are computer viruses, and I thought that computer viruses can infect my body too :P , because my friend told me that. Anyway, after a few years, I realized that I was using a very very outdated AV, because I didn't update it... At that time, I didn't know if an AV needs to be updated.

Then, few years later, my dad bought a Windows XP PC for my Christmas Present, and of course I was really happy ;) . I used Norton AV for that PC, again, because it has been pre-installed. At that time, I realized lots of things. My Norton was outdated too, because I didn't have any internet connection, but I realized that AV programs need to be updated.

When I was in the first year of Junior High School, my friend brought a copy of CHIP magazine to school. I read the DVD index section and... great! Lots of AV trials are included in the DVD ;) . Then I bought the same edition and tried those AV.

At first, I'm interested in Panda simply just because of its name <_< . Then, because of its bad review in magazines, I changed my mind. I tried the other. I tried AVG, Avira and McAfee, I haven't tried KAV that time. I couldn't make up my mind. Then, I use avast! Home Edition for a few months, because it's free. Few months after that, I read AV reviews, and KAV got the BEST detection rate, so I tried KAV, and I like it!

Edited by sjoeii, 04 June 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#25 Littlem129

Littlem129

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

Welcome to the forums Littlem.

Hopefully you will enjoy the forums here. The people here are helpful and good natured, hopefully we can all keep
this for everyone.

Sorry on that minor hiccup, I was the one that was confused over who was who,
hopefully you haven't been offended in any way over it, and accept my appolagies for
confusing you with someone else.

:)

No need to appologize Norwegian, no harm done. ;)

Sorry it took so long to reply, I hadn't checked this post in awhile.

I would never have used that Avatar if I had known that it was someone else's. I was more than happy to replace it with 1 of my own.

I pm'd a couple of times with lilhurricane and she told me about her forum and they tweaked a couple avatar's for me.

I am sorry about the confusion that it caused and I appolgize to everyone that was involved.

Anyway there was no harm done and I have definitely not been offended.

I am enjoying the forum, mostly reading and learning a lot, and definitely enjoying KIS. :P <_< ;)

You only live once, enjoy life and make the most of it!

KIS 15.0.1.415(B)
WIN 7 SP1 3GB RAM
DSL (finally!)
MBAM (on demand only)

#26 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

lilhurricane helps out a lot of people, she was just concerned that someone might masquerade with her avatar and at the worst damage her name. I think once you 2 talked, all doubts were gone, and she helped you as she has for so many others.

I like the ones you have now. At least we know who you both are. Anyway we are getting offtopic.

Look forward to others stories of how they ventured the net, and came here....... <_<

#27 richbuff

richbuff

SPAM Fighter

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:40 AM

I remember very clearly how I discovered Kaspersky...I became aware of it from Windows Security Center. Out here in the provincial wilderness, most everybody uses what comes bundled with the PC, and when the 90 day trial expires, they switch to a free program, because it is such a thrill to download free stuff. For me, I had to be different from my peers, so I just paid annually for the usual offerings. Then one day, soon after purchasing a new laptop, a miracle occurred... . . I suddenly realized that the new laptop was not happy with the usual bundled default AV. In a fit of inappropriately expressed anger, I uninstalled it. The Security Center icon appeared and I clicked on "Find another anti-virus". There suddenly appeared the never before seen exotic looking Kaspersky logo ensconced amongst the familiar logos of its pedestrian fellows. The effect was electric. I just had to try it. My laptop expressed its immediate happiness with it by suddenly ceasing its idiosyncratic freezes. The elegance of the gui took me under its spell. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

This post may contain previously unpublished synthesis of published material that conveys ideas not attributable to the original sources.

#28 ultima weapon

ultima weapon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

I first heard about kaspersky when it top the PC WORLD magazine. I was amazed that it was no.1 so I was skeptical because it is not popular here in our country. I was using nod32 too for a year after switching form norton. So the curious man I am, I first used Kaspersky Online Scanner on my computer, Let just the results surprised me when it detected mallware undetected by nod32 & was disappointed with my favorite product. So I downloaded a trial of it & the finally bought it when the trial ends & also bought 2 kaspersky mobile for my cel & my sis cell also. I for one now believe that even though our ex favorite product fail , it only failed because it was human, & I will be also fair & speak the truth there were also very few instances that nod32 detected a mallware that kaspersky missed. Even so I didnt mind it becuase when Kaspersky failed very rare times, it also shows that it is human like us, like all the great people, staff & members here.
I like & accepted Kaspersky for what it is( Both negative & positive about it), I also know that it needs improvements in some areas, But it is the best solution to me & I like to let all of you know that I own several other vendor licenses & also accepted them that they may be weaker in kaspersky in most areas, They also have their own specialty in other detection methods & scanning speed & I will say the truth, these products are actually just like us, unique, some are better in some areas of expertise, some dont & vice versa & also different in their methods & preferences like us. So I will now say the truth there is no perfect product because it is created by human beings & sadly we will never be perfect.

There is no 100% detection, 100% no flaw & 100% foolproof product unless our creator creates a antivirus from heaven well that is a different story.

Edited by ultima weapon, 09 December 2007 - 09:43 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 kilis

kilis

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

I first used kaspersky when bought my first new computer. Then i used Norton and then again Kav and then Nod32 and now again Kav.
I had funny thin when I had Norton my sister instaled other antivirus and then there was a antivirus fight. My pc almost die.

Edited by kilis, 17 June 2008 - 02:10 PM.

My PC info: Intel Core 2 Dou E8400 @ 3.0 Ghz l 2 GB Ram l Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 512 MB l 500GB HD l Windows XP (263GB) KAV 8 and Ubuntu 8.04 (200GB) LTS

#30 shah000

shah000

Crew Chief

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hmm 1st thanks to Sjoeii for the activation, lol, i actually gave up on this site, though i had registered here before i got my account on the support forum :)
And thanks to richbuff too :)

First used Kaspersky..? Hmm.. few years back.. started with version 6

I have been using Norton for almost 10 years.. since those floppy days, 2 floppies, 4 floppies and Norton AntiVirus was installed ;)
I guess thats why its famous, its among the oldest names.
Also i was using NIS since its 1st release... :)

Here in the UAE, United Arab Emirates (Dubai), Kaspersky is 'Unknown'. Only rarely will you find someone who has heard of Kaspersky.
And that too, they think its Kasper-Sky probably some less known american security company. LOL

few years ago, my norton subscription was expiring... and i had to choose something new, friends said Nod32 was good (which i had tried many years ago when it first came out)... But i thought i probably see for myself and decide whats better. I would have gone back to Norton but its bad resources demands put me off.

I installed trials for CA AntiVirus since its a big name in the security business. I was surprised when right after uninstalling Norton, CA reported 3,500 infections :) BUT couldnt remove and it was complicated to use.

Next, installed something, no virus... Next, installed Kaspersky... found 4,500 infections.. and thats when i bought KIS6... removed all infections... and its been a great experience :)

Only once i had trouble, when i installed build 325 (v 7), thats how i came to the 2 KL forums :)
But its all fine now, because if i have problems now, i can always ask Lucian and other guys (like i always do) :)
And yes, i am always getting to learn more about KL and security in general in the company of some great guys on the support forum :)