Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Why is antihacker so many network resources

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hello EK :)

In antihacker there is a setting under the additional tab where you can set it to maximum speed, because some network games is lagging because of antihacker.

My favorite online network game is also lagging, and even if I set it to maximum speed and turn of stealth mode, I still get an annoying lag, that makes the game hard to play because of the lag.

So each time I play that game I turn of the antihacker and then turn it back on when I am finished.

I dont like to be without firewall when I play, plus sometimes I forget to turn it back on after I have played.

I have always wondered what is it that makes the antihacker cause this kind of lag?

I have tried other firewalls before and they never caused this kind of lag.

Is there a chance that you could work on this for a future release? or is it something that can not be fixed or tweeked to the better?

Apart from this lag with antihacker you have done a great job with the new MP2 :)

The problems and bugs I had with the MP1, such as streaming media that would not load ect. is now working perfect again thx :)

Best regards,
Sall

Edited by Sall, 02 February 2007 - 07:39 AM.

#2 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

I forgot to mention one thing.

There is a site that I visit everyday, it contains 6 live streaming web cams.

I can open all of them and I have a fast connection so thats not the problem, but when I look at the cams I see that the picture is lagging, very much in the same way as it does in some network games like the one I talked about in my first post.

If I close down 1-2 of the 6 cams thing are running smoothly again.

If I open all 6 cams and then temporarly close down antihacker, the picture also runs smothly

So as I see it the antihacker somehow dossent like if there is to many things loaded at the same time, or it might have some problems with respons time.

I was almost about to look for another firewall so I could be without the lag, but I have learned to live with it, and apart from the lag thing I really like the antihacker so I dont feel like switching to another firewall.

But of course still it would be nice if the antihacker didnt cause any lag.

#3 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

Bumb :)

I use only XP firewall now, antihacker is a no go.

I hope one day that I can install the antihacker module again, but atm. it's not an option because of lag here and there, especially lag in network gaming.

Any chance that you will look into this matter sometime in the near future ? :)

#4 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:58 AM

Sall,

Please read the guidlines for this section - http://forum.kaspers...p?showtopic=271

What settings have you tried ? Port monitoring, have you tried rules in there as well ? Allow 127.0.0.1 loopback, does this help ? Game added to trusted zone ?

#5 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Sall,

Please read the guidlines for this section - http://forum.kaspers...p?showtopic=271

What settings have you tried ? Port monitoring, have you tried rules in there as well ? Allow 127.0.0.1 loopback, does this help ? Game added to trusted zone ?

Why was my thread moved? it was a question to E.K. :D

Nevermind I dont know about the 127.0.0.1 loopback - what does it do and how am I doing it.

Yes I have added the game to trusted and everything, It's a known problem to kaspersky that the antihacker causes lag in some network games.

Thats why they implemented the fast mode option to reduce the lag, but it dossent work enough :)

Running XP firewall now for the time being.

Edited by Sall, 24 February 2007 - 09:52 PM.

#6 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Quoted off the link Sall

"Appropriate and justified discussions are allowed.
Questions related to Kaspersky Products, will be moved to appropriate forum sections."

The EK section is not for technical issues that may be fixed by a support ticket. They are looking into the known bugs and will be fixed when they find answers.

As for my suugestions, you have options in "Rules for Packet Filtering", this is where the option to allow lookback to this interface(127.0.0.1), have you tried this, or one of the settings here maybe affecting the lag.

IDS, have you tried with/without this. Also an old bug of ver 5 was networking issues, other than IDS, you have the options in "service", network settings, and play with the settings there. What ports does the games use, you can add the rules here for the game as well as in the firewall component.

#7 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:23 AM

Quoted off the link Sall

"Appropriate and justified discussions are allowed.
Questions related to Kaspersky Products, will be moved to appropriate forum sections."

The EK section is not for technical issues that may be fixed by a support ticket. They are looking into the known bugs and will be fixed when they find answers.

As for my suugestions, you have options in "Rules for Packet Filtering", this is where the option to allow lookback to this interface(127.0.0.1), have you tried this, or one of the settings here maybe affecting the lag.

IDS, have you tried with/without this. Also an old bug of ver 5 was networking issues, other than IDS, you have the options in "service", network settings, and play with the settings there. What ports does the games use, you can add the rules here for the game as well as in the firewall component.

Sorry but it is a known problem to kaspersky, so playing with settings dossent work or playing with the ports that the game use.

The IDS system is turned off so thats not it :)

Lookback to interface(127.0.0.1) what is that doing ?

I dont have antihacker module installed now so i cant test.

Will try maybe to install it again later.

I am getting some more RAM for my computer soon so maybe it will work better.

#8 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

I wonder if allowing in the Network settings, under the service tab, or even turning all these settings off might help. I have noticed a few few download/ network issues recently too, and it seems others have too.

Maybe look at these settings, and whats running at the time, and see if it makes a difference.

127.0.0.1 permission is just me being curious if it is a network driver issue, rather than firewall.

127.0.0.1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot061.gif

#9 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

I wonder if allowing in the Network settings, under the service tab, or even turning all these settings off might help. I have noticed a few few download/ network issues recently too, and it seems others have too.

Maybe look at these settings, and whats running at the time, and see if it makes a difference.

127.0.0.1 permission is just me being curious if it is a network driver issue, rather than firewall.

127.0.0.1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Okay good to hear it's not just me.

Before it was only related to my network game, but with the new MP2 I also felt a little lag when playing live streaming media video.

So the antihacker has some problems because as soon as I paused or turned off AH everything was running smothly.

This problem with my network game has been there since KIS came out, so I doubt the lab team will do anything about it :hi:

#10 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

It does seem the more recent builds have attracted attention for this element, and not detracting from the issue, but if you seriously play online games, why not look at something more IP related for filtering for outbound protection, and leave the firewall turned off during your sessions. If you are behind a router you should be fine for inbound. I realise most are designed for Linux, there must be a few Windows based ones out there. The PDM will keep you notified still of anything serious, and A/V will still be there.

Not everything works for everyone, and Version 5 did have networking issues too, hope they find the cure.

#11 Sall

Sall

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

It does seem the more recent builds have attracted attention for this element, and not detracting from the issue, but if you seriously play online games, why not look at something more IP related for filtering for outbound protection, and leave the firewall turned off during your sessions. If you are behind a router you should be fine for inbound. I realise most are designed for Linux, there must be a few Windows based ones out there. The PDM will keep you notified still of anything serious, and A/V will still be there.

Not everything works for everyone, and Version 5 did have networking issues too, hope they find the cure.

Sorry I dont have a router.

Before I always turned off antihacker before game play, but then I was completely unprotected during game time :whistle:

So that was not a good solution in the long run.

Looking for another firewall atm. - I tried Kerio, but it was causing some other problems for me so that was thrown out aswell.

I really like the AH because it is easy to configure and so, but the lag was to much.

Edited by Sall, 05 March 2007 - 01:45 AM.