Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Funny things we do.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:06 AM

Just thought I'd give you all a laugh.

Realised Nvidia were on a year of free hardware for SLI based computers.
I was told I needed the latest drivers for the activex to detect my system. No problem, or so I thought.

Uninstalled and rebooted, now I'm stuck with the startup screen looking like safe mode, and a frozen mouse.
I knew I should have stopped all my software from starting up, to safe complications.

Now, is there a way to remote connect via a cross-over cable ? I doubt it with the system tightened down, and KIS running.

I am open to suggestions on how a re-install may be avoided, but have already downloaded the latest drivers. Next time I will be doing a total backup, which I know I should have done. Guess a laugh at one's self doesn't hurt once in a while.

Merry Christmas, via another box. B)

#2 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

Did you try rebooting into safe mode ?
Since basically it deactivates drivers other than the basical one windows needs provided by m$, it should allow you to start computer management or device list and perform a driver rollback from here, granted you're using windows XP.
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#3 Radar

Radar

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

Just thought I'd give you all a laugh.

Realised Nvidia were on a year of free hardware for SLI based computers.
I was told I needed the latest drivers for the activex to detect my system. No problem, or so I thought.

Uninstalled and rebooted, now I'm stuck with the startup screen looking like safe mode, and a frozen mouse.
I knew I should have stopped all my software from starting up, to safe complications.

Now, is there a way to remote connect via a cross-over cable ? I doubt it with the system tightened down, and KIS running.

I am open to suggestions on how a re-install may be avoided, but have already downloaded the latest drivers. Next time I will be doing a total backup, which I know I should have done. Guess a laugh at one's self doesn't hurt once in a while.

Merry Christmas, via another box. B)

You can start via live xp cd, maybe you could get the hd.
Other way, the best, is start with a ERD commander CD. This is a Cd to acces to the hd. Its like a XP live cd but with a lot of tools. Then you can restore system, delete files, etc.
Did you try star with last configuration working?

#4 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

Did you try rebooting into safe mode ?
Since basically it deactivates drivers other than the basical one windows needs provided by m$, it should allow you to start computer management or device list and perform a driver rollback from here, granted you're using windows XP.

Safe mode produces the same screen, except there is the admin acct as well. I just cant get past the login screen. It has a frozen mouse, with both types of plug-in mice

You can start via live xp cd, maybe you could get the hd.
Other way, the best, is start with a ERD commander CD. This is a Cd to acces to the hd. Its like a XP live cd but with a lot of tools. Then you can restore system, delete files, etc.
Did you try star with last configuration working?

I can get to the bootup repair screen of my Windows CD, but have never used it. The request to login from that screen, do you have to type the name of the computer there to get in ? I have always just reformatted, but this time would like to try to re-use it, or save some info if I can, not that anything on there was real important

Thanks for the replies so far. I have found it quite entertaining. B)

#5 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

I see this link explains the recovery console. Didn't realise the licence for the computer is what is needed. Might do some investigation to see if I can fix it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

For future reference, I also found this info(due to the fact I can't remember the admin password in safe mode. never needed it before. I usually just password protect it and forget it.

http://pubs.logicale...icle.asp?ID=305

Maybe it will help others down the road. The backdoor explained in the link to system32 is new to me.

Edited by norwegian, 25 December 2006 - 12:54 AM.

#6 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

Well it seems we are back in business. The repair using the repair option that comes at the reinstall prompt was the way to do it. I thought I was going to have to crack my admin acct, then do it. But all seems good, other than I bet the is a lot of updates at Microsoft.

It feels different playing with a box using Avast home on, instead of
KIS 6. Christmas did come. :whistle:

Hopefully these 2 links may help others.