Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Have You Ever Eaten Mooncakes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival is coming soon. Have you ever heard of this festival? Have you ever had any mooncakes?

Two snapshots here:

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's already midnight here. I'll check it tomorrow. :)

#2 CbIP

CbIP

Police Officer

• Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

WOW! Looks tasty! But, I haven't )))
Posted Image

Posted Image

Сделаю юзербар. Ask me to make userbar.
Posted Image Posted Image
Press any key - означает нажмите RESET
[md5]72dfdb13d1b60b9620fb5f1f9b163b74[/md5]

#3 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Me neither. But I agree, these look pretty tasty :)
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#4 CbIP

CbIP

Police Officer

• Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

And does The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival have web-site????
I want to see other "exhibits" :) :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Сделаю юзербар. Ask me to make userbar.
Posted Image Posted Image
Press any key - означает нажмите RESET
[md5]72dfdb13d1b60b9620fb5f1f9b163b74[/md5]

#5 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

I proud to say that have. :)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#6 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

How they taste? A similar taste?
Regards,
Michael

#7 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

Mooncake
Mooncake ( ; ; ) is a Chinese confection that is traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival, although they can be eaten at other times of the year as well. Typical mooncakes are either round or rectangular puck shaped pastries, measuring about 10 cm in diameter and 4-5 cm thick. They have a relatively thin crust (2-3 mm), which surrounds a thick pasty filling and may contain yolks from salted duck eggs. Mooncakes are typically rich, heavy and dense compared with most Western cakes and pastries. It is usually eaten in small wedges accompanied by Chinese tea.

That's an entry about mooncakes in Wikipedia. I will post a Chinese essay about the origins and legends of Mid-Autumn Festival later.

How they taste? A similar taste?

There are many flavors. Some mooncakes are filled with sweetened bean paste, some with mince, etc. That's too difficult to translate into English. You have to try it yourself. Since Mid-autumn Festival (Moon Festival, Mooncake Festival, or the August Moon Festival) is a very important traditional Chinese festival, I guess mooncakes are also available in the Chinese communities abroad or Chinese shops.

And does The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival have web-site????
I want to see other "exhibits" :) :)

Yes, take a look at this one:
http://www.sh-yb.net/
Click one of the icons and you will see its products. Of course, some of the brands might look quite familiar to you.

Attached Thumbnails

• sshot_13.png

Edited by Jingtian, 04 October 2006 - 06:22 AM.

#8 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

There are two legends which claim to explain the tradition of eating mooncakes. One Tang Dynasty myth holds that the earth once had 10 suns circling it. One day all 10 suns appeared at once, scorching the planet with their heat. It was thanks to a skillful archer named Hou Yi that the earth was saved. He shot down all but one of the suns. As his reward, the Heavenly Queen Mother gave Hou Yi the Elixir of Immortality, but she warned him that he must use it wisely. Hou Yi ignored her advice and, corrupted by fame and fortune, became a tyrannical leader. Chang'e, his beautiful wife, could no longer stand by and watch him abuse him power so she stole his Elixir and fled to the moon to escape his angry wrath. And thus began the legend of the beautiful woman in the moon, the Moon Fairy.

The second legend has it that during the Yuan Dynasty, an underground group led by Zhu Yuangzhang was determined to rid the country of Mongolian dominance. The moon cake was created to carry a secret message. When the cake was opened and the message read, an uprising was unleashed which successfully routed the Mongolians. It happened at the time of the full moon, which, some say, explains why mooncakes are eaten at this time.

Mooncakes are not for the diet-conscious as they are loaded with calories. The best way to wash down one of these sticky cakes is with a cup of Chinese tea, especially jasmine or chrysanthemum tea, which aids the digestion.

More information:
Yuan Dynasty: 1271-1368 AD
Mid-Autumn Festival falls on August 15th on the Chinese lunar calendar each year.
For more information, you can search "中秋节" in Chinese, "Mid-Autumn Festival" in English, or "das Mondfest" in German or "праздник Луны" in Russian.

#9 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hey, I don't have any chinese comunity around here...sorry for that. If I'll taste those things I'll probably do it in China :).
Regards,
Michael

#10 Leo Max

Leo Max

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

I have never eaten a Chinese food before. :)
HP dv6000z AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60(2.0GHz/1MB) 1024MB DDR2 667 NVIDIA 7200

Kaspersky logo Wallpapers

#11 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:13 AM

Come to Toronto Leo, its very multicultural
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#12 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

We know that. I have a friend in Toronto...he just loves paki people...:(

Edited by FadeToBlack, 05 October 2006 - 02:58 PM.

Regards,
Michael

#13 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:37 AM

Although quite frankly, no need to be that hard on those people :)
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#14 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hey...I know that, but my friend...well, let's just say he's not that happy...:)
I hate Gypsies from my country and I'm proud to say that. :) Yes, I am a racist B). Lucian Bara can confirm that.
Regards,
Michael

#15 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

I can confirm B)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)