Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Linux

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:50 AM

It is said that the Brazilian government uses Linux instead of Microsoft Windows.
Have you ever used Linux? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

#2 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

Yes, in fact.
I'm now using slackware 11.0- and Suse 10.2 . if your a beginner suse would be the best thing, just so you can get a feeling of the enviromment. After that slackware or gentoo would be a good choice.
Or maybe you can go for debian (i never used it myself).
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#3 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

What antivirus do you use in Linux? And what good media players are there? Are they any good browsers like Firefox and Opera?

#4 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

French government too is now equipped with Linux + OpenOffice.org to reduce costs.

I myself like Ubuntu, it's simple for the beginners and you can test it on a liveCD, plus updates are really fast to be released after a bug/leak has been discovered. Hardware support is OK, too. That's the one I use (Ubuntu 6.10) on my desktop PC (dual boot with XP).
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#5 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thanks. Can I install both Windows XP and Linux in the same hard disk drive?

#6 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

What antivirus do you use in Linux? And what good media players are there? Are they any good browsers like Firefox and Opera?

anti-viruses aren't required for home users, most linux distros have a firewall, so it's secure.
As for browsers, most include konqueror and firefox, but opera is available for download for linux. too

Of course. but you need to partition it as follow.
You need to resize one of your windows partitions so that you can free up some space (i alocated 15GB for one linux distro).
The free space must be partition by the linux installer.
basicly you need only 2 partitions a root partition / (i use reiserFS) and a swap partition the size of your RAM quantity. You can increase the number of partition by creating separate partitions for the major folders like /home for example but it's not required.

most linux distros install a bootloader afterwards called grub thi allows you to choose into which os to boot (linux or windows).
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#7 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

anti-viruses aren't required for home users, most linux distros have a firewall, so it's secure.
As for browsers, most include konqueror and firefox, but opera is available for download for linux. too

Of course. but you need to partition it as follow.
You need to resize one of your windows partitions so that you can free up some space (i alocated 15GB for one linux distro).
The free space must be partition by the linux installer.
basicly you need only 2 partitions a root partition / (i use reiserFS) and a swap partition the size of your RAM quantity. You can increase the number of partition by creating separate partitions for the major folders like /home for example but it's not required.

most linux distros install a bootloader afterwards called grub thi allows you to choose into which os to boot (linux or windows).

Thank you for your help.
I will give it a shot after my thesis defense.

#8 Kilauea

Kilauea

Crew Chief

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

I have always a linux partition on hdd. :) At the moment Kubuntu.

Kilauea

#9 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

Just make sure your Windows is installed first. :) Otherwise Windows overwrites foreign MBRs
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#10 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Just make sure your Windows is installed first. :whistle: Otherwise Windows overwrites foreign MBRs

I think you can install the bootloader in the first secotr of the linux partition and it will be safe. Never tried it unfortunatly:(

#11 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

Just make sure your Windows is installed first. :whistle: Otherwise Windows overwrites foreign MBRs

Thanks for reminding me of that. I won't be free until the New Years' Day, so I have plenty of time to search for information about Linux and ask for help before I install it. :hi:

#12 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

btw, since you are a new comer to linux, you could try opensuse 10.2, it looks pretty good, and it's easy to install & configure. but you might want to add the packman repository afterwards, since because open source the mp3 support for the xine engine isn't delivered by default.

#13 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

Thanks. I guess it is also necessary for me to flood in a Chinese forum for a month to learn what Chinese softwares can be used in Linux and how. :huh:

#14 Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thanks. I guess it is also necessary for me to flood in a Chinese forum for a month to learn what Chinese softwares can be used in Linux and how. :)

For the beginner the great is Fedora, believe me. Easy to install. If you need some software you just use repositorium. Just type a name of software you need and Fedora automatically DL it and install ;)

#15 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

Thanks. I guess it is also necessary for me to flood in a Chinese forum for a month to learn what Chinese softwares can be used in Linux and how. :)

For the beginner the great is Fedora, believe me. Easy to install. If you need some software you just use repositorium. Just type a name of software you need and Fedora automatically DL it and install ;)

i tried 3 and 4, frankly i wasn't impressed, suse runs much smoother and you have a lot of applications included in the dvd (non oss too). if you add repositories it will automatically look for the dependencies in them when installing the rpm.

i am quite happy right now, found out that i can downlaod at incredible speeds from ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net (wasn't like this before), by incredible speeds i mean 1MB/s (even if my connection has only 1mbps).
so in the near future i will take a look at gentoo and debian (always wanted to test those, but was limited by the internet and now by time :) )

Edited by lucianbara, 11 December 2006 - 11:15 PM.