Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:01 AM

Some of the threads of this board are about the products of Microsoft: Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Firefox.

Microsoft is giving a campus career talk in our university tomorrow evening and I've decided to ask a question. Do you have any GOOD questions to suggest? As our university is one of foreign languages studies, students are far worse at computer than in languages, we cannot expect many GOOD questions tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions?

#2 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

Actually if I were there I would think of something to bash their Vistanic. The best thing to ask would be something about Microsoft Firefox.
Regards,
Michael

#3 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:22 AM

Thats not encouraging :)
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#4 Chubb

Chubb

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

Thats not encouraging :)

Yes, MS Firefox is really funny. Let it continue to survive. :) Actually, that question would be embarrassing and Whizard is right, try to avoid it.

Jiangtian, I would suggest that you raise a question about Microsoft's policy about software piracy in China, because it has direct connection with the expansion policy of Microsoft in China. If Microsoft wants to expand its business in China, fighting against software piracy maybe the first priority. Is Microsoft willing to give very special discount or incentives to computer users in China? Attractive academic prices? Affordable bundles? Purchase by installments? Bear in mind that some students in China are very poor. Even if they can afford to buy a computer, they cannot afford to use genuine Windows. Forcing the poor students to buy expensive and genuine copies is not the solution.

Edited by Chubb, 14 November 2006 - 08:53 AM.

#5 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

I won't bash Vista, as I don't want to scare them away. :)

It would be too early to suggest ways to cope with the rampant piracy in China, although I really have some ideas. I'll save those ideas for the interview, if possible. :)

I had thought of raising a question on the Microsoft Firefox 2007 Professional, in that case I'll reconsider it at your suggestion. A possible alternative for that question is how safe is IE7.

The campus career talk begins in an hour and a half.

#6 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

You can enquire about Job Opportunities for students as well.
~^Whizard^~

#7 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Instead of recruiting, the main purpose of the Microsoft guys' coming was to promote Windows Live Spaces.

Anyway, I asked besides the phishing site filter, what other new features had been added and what improvements had been made to make IE 7 safer than IE6. A product manager of Microsoft said that XXXXX (my student number) had asked a very professional question. But I don't think he has answered my question. He said something about RSS (which reminded me of Real Simple Sex :D). The question was written on a slip and passed to him, above the question, I also asked whether they had heard of Microsoft Firefox 2007 Professional, but they didn't answer it.

Another funny thing was that he asked whether we had used Windows Live Messenger, nearly all of the students said yes. Then he asked whether we had used Hotmail, only 2/3 said yes, he asked what Email accounts the rest of us were using, and he got an unanimous reply: Yahoo! Then the guy said that Windows Live Mail would be launched today, which would replace the Email accounts we were using now.

#8 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:47 AM

You need to account that Microsoft often brings PR people on those tours. They can't really go into much details about technical stuff. Simply bear in mind with Marketing people and get free goodies. I got five cool Windows Vista pens from Microsoft AMD/Tech Tour :D
~^Whizard^~

#9 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

I have a HSBC pen and scratch pad, an ABN AMRO scratch pad and bag, and a Windows Live notebook I got for raising the question.

#10 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

A notebook? Laptop? ;)
Regards,
Michael

#11 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:21 PM

No, a paper notebook. They are not so generous as to give me a laptop just for a good question that I raised.

#12 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

Sucky Microsoft...
Regards,
Michael

#13 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:09 AM

Sucky Microsoft...

Not really, depends on the even type :)
~^Whizard^~

#14 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

I don't understand why you like Microsoft so much. Their only merit is making computers more comercial...
Regards,
Michael

#15 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

well microsoft did offer vista premium buisnness & ultimate licenses to all beta testers who submitted at least one bug (i can't understand why i didn't do that :P )
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)