Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

The way it's faster...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

I have read (Marcos said that, an ESET moderator) on Wilder's Security that ESET's NOD32's scanning part is written in assembly code. This means that it's normal to be very fast while it's scanning. What I want to know is in which programming language KAV is written...

Edited by FadeToBlack, 06 November 2006 - 08:05 PM.

Regards,
Michael

#2 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

From what I understand some parts are written in C/C++, while some routines do utilize assembler.

Edited by Whizard, 10 November 2006 - 07:03 PM.

Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#3 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

So that's why it's suffering when talking about speed of scanning and this is why NOD32 hasn't changed their engine too much since it's original development...quite a very good solution :).
Regards,
Michael

#4 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

from my point of view asambler doesn't mean faster then c++ it depends on the developer's knowledge, you can have a subrutine written in asm which is slower to one written in c++ just because the dev can't write it more efficient (and asm is really hard, to use push, pop, jmp, mov.. it's harder to understand then c++)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#5 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

Actually KAV's core engine is not new at all either. The scanning engine is now at version 3.0 (as of version 6.0), but we do see some new improvements like iSwift, and iChecker in response to user's requirements. The underlining principle did not change. Some routines are faster in assembler, however for modularity C/C++ is used to write Prague Modules :D

Edited by Whizard, 16 November 2006 - 08:01 AM.

Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#6 ultima weapon

ultima weapon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

have read (Marcos said that, an ESET moderator) on Wilder's Security that ESET's NOD32's scanning part is written in assembly code. This means that it's normal to be very fast while it's scanning. What I want to know is in which programming language KAV is written...

This post has been edited by FadeToBlack: Nov 7 2006, 01:05

Nod32 is indeed fast & their new version a beta Nod32 v3.0 is even faster than the final nod32 v2.7. I been a previous nod32 user before. Nod32 may be better than norton ,avg & mcafee. But pales to kaspersky. I tried to use my nod32 v2.7 & recently the new version beta nod32 v3.0. I sign up for their beta testing team & believed it it was the best but I then tried kaspersky to scan a rar file. nod32 reports its no infections but kaspersky detects a hidden trojan inside and destroyed it that convinced that kaspersky is better. Taht convince me to bought it. There may be very rare instances that nod32 detects a virus that kaspersky has not detect but kaspersky detects far more viruses than nod32. Believe me coming from a previous Nod32 fanatic. Nod may faster kaspersky but kaspersky is more efficient & accurate in detecting viruses & trojans. It may be not be 100% perfect but maybe close to it probably 95 to 98% to me. Nod32 I would give about 91%

Edited by ultima weapon, 25 October 2007 - 01:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 DBase

DBase

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

@ultima weapon:Kaspersky - 95 to 98% to me. Nod32 I would give about 91%
Ouu, yeah :censoree: -And the problem with nod32 is with his security operations and modules. But, when we talk about av scan speed - Kaspersky is slower than Nod32, but K bring more security to your PC.

So, try and use Kaspersky solutions - That is the best way to secure and control your computer.

Edited by DBase, 25 October 2007 - 10:38 PM.

DBase - Kaspersky Lab Officer
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 ultima weapon

ultima weapon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:04 AM

I guess ur right Nod32 does it detection more on heuretics than a signature database. That what their threatsense engine is about. Kaspersky combines it using both heuretics and signatures am I correct?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

I guess ur right Nod32 does it detection more on heuretics than a signature database. That what their threatsense engine is about. Kaspersky combines it using both heuretics and signatures am I correct?

That's correct indeed.
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#10 Boyfriend

Boyfriend

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Kaspersky solutions depends more on signature updates, while NO32 depends more on their Heuristics and Threatsense. But still Kaspersky leads and rules. The heuristics in Kaspersky solution is under development and is currently comparable with many other AV Vendors. Actually Heuristic component of Kaspersky is perhaps making it somewhat slow in On-demand scans.
In Kaspersky v8/2009, the scan engine is really fast due to new bases format and several optimizations, e.g., archive scanning and multi-core sensing etc. That version will bring much improvement in scanning speed.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + KIS 2012 (a.b.c.d.e.f.g) + Sandboxie 3.62

#11 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Kaspersky solutions depends more on signature updates, while NO32 depends more on their Heuristics and Threatsense. But still Kaspersky leads and rules. The heuristics in Kaspersky solution is under development and is currently comparable with many other AV Vendors. Actually Heuristic component of Kaspersky is perhaps making it somewhat slow in On-demand scans.
In Kaspersky v8/2009, the scan engine is really fast due to new bases format and several optimizations, e.g., archive scanning and multi-core sensing etc. That version will bring much improvement in scanning speed.

especially when you are on Dual Core
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club