Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

I installed it (without a serial it runs like a trial for 30 days). looks quite nice.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#32 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

I won't install Windows Vista until I upgrade my hardware.

#33 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Superfetch was giving me a memory leak...cool stuff (RTM).
Regards,
Michael

#34 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

i didn't notice it.
i only notice that my eyes hurt because of the cleartype font used by default and when disabling that you end up wit a crappy font with very thin lines.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#35 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

I didn't had problems with ClearType. Anyway, it's just a matter of getting used to it.
Regards,
Michael

#36 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

Rumor has it that in order to crack down on piracy in China, the price of the retail version of Windows Vista will reduce by 45% and the OEM version by 70%.
The Chinese version of Windows Vista Professional will be sold at about 300 to 500 Yuan RMB (about 30 to 50 Euros).

#37 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:40 PM

There is no Vista Professional and Vista will have the same price in every country.
Vista editions: Click here (@WinSuperSite);
Vista pricing: Click here (@ WinSuperSite).

Edited by FadeToBlack, 19 November 2006 - 12:42 PM.

Regards,
Michael

#38 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

Then it is indeed a rumor. :)

#39 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

Sure is. Microsoft always thinks ahead. And if it is OEM then it means a lot of work to do when you change a computer component. It may be true, but I doubt it. For 400$ (that's how much Ultimate costs) Microsoft would be selling about 10 * 40$ special Chinese licenses. It means that it's the same thing as if 10 people would buy it for 40$ or one person buying it for 400$. Which is the most profitable?

Edited by FadeToBlack, 19 November 2006 - 12:52 PM.

Regards,
Michael

#40 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

Sure is. Microsoft always thinks ahead. And if it is OEM then it means a lot of work to do when you change a computer component. It may be true, but I doubt it. For 400$ (that's how much Ultimate costs) Microsoft would be selling about 10 * 40$ special Chinese licenses. It means that it's the same thing as if 10 people would buy it for 40$ or one person buying it for 400$. Which is the most profitable?

in microsft's vision, most proffitable is 10 people buying it for 400$ each. :)

#41 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:28 PM

Yes, of course :).
Regards,
Michael

#42 Chubb

Chubb

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

Rumor has it that in order to crack down on piracy in China, the price of the retail version of Windows Vista will reduce by 45% and the OEM version by 70%.
The Chinese version of Windows Vista Professional will be sold at about 300 to 500 Yuan RMB (about 30 to 50 Euros).

That is only likely when ONLY the Chinese Simplified version of Vista is to be sold at 300-500RMB. If the English version is also sold at 300-500RMB in China, at least a lot of people in HK will rush to Shenzhen to buy one copy, and vistors to China will also rush to buy one copy in China. I think the price of 300-500RMB, if it true, will apply to students only.

No offense here, but I just want to say that, some people just don't like paying for using software. They take it for granted that they should use software for free. Why bother to buy a license key when the key can be obtained from a lot of crack sites? They have in their mind that there should be some way of cracking the software, just like cracking the Microsoft WGA. Cracks are immediately available the same day when a new version of WGA is out. You can see how fast the crackers are.

Some time ago, F-Secure has a promotion in Hong Kong in a computer show and it cost only HK$100 to buy two year license for F-Secure AntiVirus, and on the same computer show, it only cost HK$99 for a one year license for PC-Cillin. People simply raise a question in the HK warez newsgroup, asking those who have bought it to share the license key. It is not the cost!! No matter how much it is, people simply don't want to pay for it. It is too easy to get pirated copies in HK that people simply accustomed to using pirated software and are reluctant to pay for it. If you buy it, you will be treated as something extraordinary. :)

#43 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Totally agree on that one. Give me 1000$ to buy Microsoft Server 2007 and I will buy it :).
Regards,
Michael

#44 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:59 PM

That is only likely when ONLY the Chinese Simplified version of Vista is to be sold at 300-500RMB. If the English version is also sold at 300-500RMB in China, at least a lot of people in HK will rush to Shenzhen to buy one copy, and vistors to China will also rush to buy one copy in China. I think the price of 300-500RMB, if it true, will apply to students only.

No offense here, but I just want to say that, some people just don't like paying for using software. They take it for granted that they should use software for free. Why bother to buy a license key when the key can be obtained from a lot of crack sites? They have in their mind that there should be some way of cracking the software, just like cracking the Microsoft WGA. Cracks are immediately available the same day when a new version of WGA is out. You can see how fast the crackers are.

Some time ago, F-Secure has a promotion in Hong Kong in a computer show and it cost only HK$100 to buy two year license for F-Secure AntiVirus, and on the same computer show, it only cost HK$99 for a one year license for PC-Cillin. People simply raise a question in the HK warez newsgroup, asking those who have bought it to share the license key. It is not the cost!! No matter how much it is, people simply don't want to pay for it. It is too easy to get pirated copies in HK that people simply accustomed to using pirated software and are reluctant to pay for it. If you buy it, you will be treated as something extraordinary. :)

Of course, English version of Windows Vista will never be sold at such a low price.
As regards antivirus softwares, I always suggest my classmates use free softwares, if they are not able or unwilling to buy one, such as AVS (you all know that), Kaspersky Antivirus for 360safe (licensed for half a year), Nod32 (licensed for three months), F-Secure Antivirus 2006 (licensed for a year), Antivir Personal Edition, Avast! Home, etc. I have installed AVS and Kaspersky Antivirus for 360safe in quite a few computers of my classmates. And at my suggestion, some do have bought KIS6.0.

#45 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

It's very easy to use free products, as these days some are very good performers and have excelent quality.
Regards,
Michael