Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

450$, what to do with that money, buy vista or buy a new high end graphic card? What would be better? (that's a rhetorical question)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#17 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

Save of course. Being on the bleeding edge can be quite expensive. I would rather wait for the hype to be over first.
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#18 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

Whizard, you said that Microsoft did good things...well...
1. The CPU on Play Station 2 is 128bit;
2. The CPU on every new PC is 64 bit (Windows XP x64 launched in 2004 if I remember well, or 2005);
3. The 16 bit -> 32bit transition took too much and this because of Microsoft;
4. The lack of 64 bit software;
5. PS2 was launched in 2000;
6. PS1 was launched in 1994 and it had a 32 or 64 bit CPU.
7. Do you still think Microsoft helped the development of CPUs?

So what you are saying is that even if we have slower CPUs Microsoft did good to the industry...well...actually if you think better they slowed the technology progress on the PCs. I will not use an original copy of Windows all the time, because I don't want to pay Gates for his product.
You all say how much Vista sucks and how stupid it is, but all of you will buy it...if you don't like it why buy it?
Software shouldn't be free, but it shouldn't make you save money for years...not all the people have thousand of dollars per month...

Edited by FadeToBlack, 06 November 2006 - 03:42 PM.

Regards,
Michael

#19 Chubb

Chubb

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

450$, what to do with that money, buy vista or buy a new high end graphic card? What would be better? (that's a rhetorical question)

Vista Ultimate would probably cost USD399.

http://www.betanews....cing/1157479147

There might be promotion prices if bought with Office 2007 in Easter, or more discount would be offered when worser than expected sales happen. ;)

Actually, the MSDN license for development and testing purpose is much cheaper. The MSDN Operating System Subscription cost USD699, but you get all Windows XP editions (inclucing 32-bit and x64), Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows ServerĀ® 2003 R2 Enterprise, Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 and Vista Ultimate all in one package. You can also get the English language version as well as other languages.

#20 comRace

comRace

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

450$...399$...jeeez...that's a lot of money :(
I'd rather buy an iPod with that money :lol:

#21 DonKid

DonKid

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

Convert it to Brazilian money and maybe I can buy a new computer. :lol:

Too much money wasted for an OS.

Where is this OS you´re talking about ?:(

Edited by DonKid, 07 November 2006 - 12:18 AM.

When the humanity start to realize that there isn't race, creed, politics, money, our planet will be wonderful. Be always a humble person.

#22 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

It's right there...you know...the tiny OS...
I feel like it's wasted money...my mother would kill me if I would even think about buying it :lol:.
Regards,
Michael

#23 DonKid

DonKid

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

It's right there...you know...the tiny OS...
I feel like it's wasted money...my mother would kill me if I would even think about buying it :whistle:.

I agree with you.
I think you should spend your money with something more useful for a guy of your age.:huh:
When the humanity start to realize that there isn't race, creed, politics, money, our planet will be wonderful. Be always a humble person.

#24 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

Anybody would be runninig it, since new PCs will come with Vista. And XP will slowly die off just as ME did.
~^Whizard^~

#25 Kilauea

Kilauea

Crew Chief

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

I took a look at Vista RC1. Unbelievible, it takes 500MB of Ram and slows down my PC like a game. But what quite more interesting, i have no TFT, i do use a normal monitor an iiyama 19 the graphic is soo bad. It is like linux without special fonts. I can not believe that they will release this. :whistle:

Kilauea

#26 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

I took a look at Vista RC1. Unbelievible, it takes 500MB of Ram and slows down my PC like a game. But what quite more interesting, i have no TFT, i do use a normal monitor an iiyama 19 the graphic is soo bad. It is like linux without special fonts. I can not believe that they will release this. :whistle:

Kilauea

It took 0.5GB on my pc, but it didn't slow it down noticeble.

maybe clear type is active thst's why the fonts are so crappy, try to disable it.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#27 Kilauea

Kilauea

Crew Chief

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

I have disabled clear type. :hi:
But the video, the one you will see if you adjust your monitor (they are playing billard) that has a oustanding quality. But the normal desktop screen is a crap. :whistle:

Kilauea

#28 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Actually using the latest beta drivers either from nVidia or ATi should do the trick.
Regards,
Michael

#29 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

RC1 used to have a bug and memory leaks which slowed down the overall performance. It got much better in RC2 and Pre-RTM. But since Vista now in the RTM stage. People actually say good things about it. Look at Paul Thurrot and WindowsSuperSite for instance.
~^Whizard^~

#30 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

I' half way downloading Vista...but I am not sure if I will ever install it some time soon. I want it to run fast like hell. I will get back on my favorite OS -> Windows 2003 Server, once SP2 is going to be released :).
Regards,
Michael