Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:46 AM

Finally they revealed the product boxes. What do you think discuss :whistle:

Posted Image
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#2 dah145

dah145

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:00 AM

They're nice :) , what is the difference in windows Vista Ultimate? :whistle: Is like the Pro version?

#3 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

Its actually way more differences than that:
http://www.winsupers...ta_editions.asp
~^Whizard^~

#4 Radar

Radar

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

I think we, where i work, will choose business edition. Small business is not necesary and enterprise edition is too much (languages, virtual pc) for us (99,99 % users)
But i hope to wait for a long time before see a pc with Vista. I prefer stand with XP for now.
I dont read good things about Vista.

Here, in Europe, we have N edition (without media player). This is not necesary to work :)
Normal user at home will use Vista Home Basic.

#5 Leo Max

Leo Max

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

Greetings!

Wow. Indeed very nice. Let's say if I have Windows Media Center edition. Would I will be able to upgrade to Home Premium and do you think there will be an extra cost to upgrade from Media Center edition? :)

Leo
HP dv6000z AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60(2.0GHz/1MB) 1024MB DDR2 667 NVIDIA 7200

Kaspersky logo Wallpapers

#6 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:55 AM

When my University gets, I am sure will have my laptop upgraded as part of the agreement.
http://www.microsoft...pgradeinfo.mspx

I bet there will be an upgrade charge. Its not Kaspersky afterall :)

Does buying a Windows Vista Capable PC mean that I will receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista?
No. A PC that is Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready means that the PC is ready for an upgrade from Windows XP. You would still need to purchase the edition of Windows Vista that you want to install on your Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC.

Edited by Whizard, 02 November 2006 - 04:57 AM.

~^Whizard^~

#7 Leo Max

Leo Max

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

I see... ;)

Thanks Whiz... :)

Leo

#8 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

You are welcome
~^Whizard^~

#9 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

The boxes look nice indeed (you can expect that for what the ultimate build costs ;) )
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#10 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

Approx 450$ USD
~^Whizard^~

#11 dah145

dah145

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

Approx 450$ USD

Thanks for the info Whiz. :yes:

#12 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:22 PM

Too much money wasted for an OS.
Regards,
Michael

#13 Leo Max

Leo Max

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

That is so TRUE. No wonder Microsoft makes billions of dollars.

Leo

#14 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Even though everybody blames Microsoft, its actually the best thing that happened to PC market. Think about this people. And no I am not advocating Microsoft knowing how they bought every single technology they currently have :whistle:
~^Whizard^~

#15 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

That is so TRUE. No wonder Microsoft makes billions of dollars.

Leo

I completely agree. XP is "only" ?99 (home edition) or ?149 (professional edition), but $450 ! You can build a middle performance PC for that price ! That's just too much. Anyway, I won't be buying Vista until I'm forced to, because, as they said in the "user friendly" comic strip, "[it does] everything XP does, only for more money and fewer consumer rights".

Even though everybody blames Microsoft, its actually the best thing that happened to PC market. Think about this people. And no I am not advocating Microsoft knowing how they bought every single technology they currently have :lool:

I'd tend to disagree. In the PC (the broad meaning, including mac, sun, etc. -- personal computer market) market, I think this was not the best thing that happened. Windows, until it was out in it's 2000/XP edition, was very unstable, buggy, and you had to reinstall it every six months.
In that respect, I find Apple's system (at the time of Win98, it was Mac OS8) was more stable, and had better functionality. The problem is Apple didn't open to the market like the PC/Wintel platform did, remaining all proprietary and high-priced, that' why they never grew, until recently (IMO).

Now, I find some linux distros like Ubuntu (that are free) are very clean and stable, too, they're very complete and can, for the basic user that uses his/her computer only for surfing/using email/doing text processing, be used as well as windows.
The problem is, for power users or users who require some special software (like 3D imaging software, video editing, etc.) that these applications exist only on windows most of time, sometimes on mac, but extremely rarely on linux.

And, even if I don't really like microsoft, and I know thet bought/stole-and-then-later-won-the-trial most of the technology they use, from DOS to the 2000/XP kernel, I learned not to associate a product and it's editor.
So I may not like microsoft, but the fact is windows, with XP, reached a state where it's useable, sufficienltly stable, and well, I use it everyday :whistle:
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b