Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Dual Boot PC Licensing issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aarque

aarque

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

I have a single PC with XP and Vista both installed on it, Do I have to purchase 2 licenses for this machine or a single copy will activate in both the OS ?
:)
TIA

#2 Whizard

Whizard

Professional

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

As long as you dont run them at the same time you are fine. That aspect is already covered in your agreement.
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

#3 Harryboy

Harryboy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

As long as you dont run them at the same time you are fine. That aspect is already covered in your agreement.

Does this mean that if you have two machines, but you only use one of them at a time (the other being switched off), that you only need a licence for one user?

#4 Baz^^

Baz^^

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Nope.

1 license=1 machine.

If the program is physically installed on 2 machines on a 1 pc license, then this is violating the EULA.
Kaspersky Lab Personal Security Professional
http://malwarecrawler.com Spam bots look here!

#5 Harryboy

Harryboy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Nope.
1 license=1 machine.

If the program is physically installed on 2 machines on a 1 pc license, then this is violating the EULA.

Yes, but the licence also says "You may [only] install one copy of the software on one computer" and the original answer to this thread gave the common sense advice that if you had two operating systems you could install two copies of the software, as you can obvioulsy only use one at a time. It seems reasonable and common sense to me that if you buy one copy of the software then you should only be able to use one copy at a time,even if you have installed it on several computers and several operating systems on some of the computers -- as long as you only use one copy at a time. I do not think the EULA is very well worded to cover these situations.

#6 Baz^^

Baz^^

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

I understand it may not seem like it is very well worded but it does state that a copy is considered to be "in use" when it is loaded onto the hard drive of a computer. So simply installing it onto two computers would be using the license twice.

I can't really comment on what the legal department have come up with, only provide facts from the agreement :)
Kaspersky Lab Personal Security Professional
http://malwarecrawler.com Spam bots look here!

#7 Harryboy

Harryboy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

I understand it may not seem like it is very well worded but it does state that a copy is considered to be "in use" when it is loaded onto the hard drive of a computer. So simply installing it onto two computers would be using the license twice.

I can't really comment on what the legal department have come up with, only provide facts from the agreement :)

Ah well, thanks.

Incidentally where can I find out what the various symbols and titles below people's user names mean? Like rows of medals and and the different "groups"

#8 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

that's not available.
but groups are:
members (usual people)
KL team (people working at Kaspersky lab)
gold beta testers (users who were awarded gold beta awards on the main forum)
skin developers (name says it all)
founders people who had the initiative to start this forum
supermoderators , administrators and root administrators are the staff, so to say. they manage the forum, ban trouble makers etc.

the row of medals are only for the different post numbers.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)