Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

PC Access

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dustime

dustime

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

I am a senior, nearly 77 and basically self taught via mags, books and errors; so please bear with me and thanks to all.
My question: "My pc is still active after shutting down".
I just had Windows xp 64 bit installed and my prior security suite did not support it so I am trying Kaspersky.
Also my previous OS was not installed correctly, perhaps this was the reason my Pc remained inactive after shutting down and not because I had another security suite installed.
Any help?

Dustime

#2 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

Welcome dustime.

Can I ask why you installed x64 bit ? It really isn't a very well supported O/S.

As for why it is still running after shutting down. This usually is caused by a conflict of some sort.
Maybe if you look at what is starting up when first turning on the computer.

Start-run-type in 'msconfig'

The startup tab should tell you
Maybe look at turning off everything that isn't important first may help, to see if it is a conflict there.

#3 dustime

dustime

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

Welcome dustime.

Can I ask why you installed x64 bit ? It really isn't a very well supported O/S.

As for why it is still running after shutting down. This usually is caused by a conflict of some sort.
Maybe if you look at what is starting up when first turning on the computer.

Start-run-type in 'msconfig'

The startup tab should tell you
Maybe look at turning off everything that isn't important first may help, to see if it is a conflict there.

Hello Norwegian,
Thank you for your help. I did as you advised with msconfig and found upon entry selective startup had been chosen so I went to normal and all seems OK.
When I shut down PC my red and blue remain inactive.
I installed 64 bit so I could add more memory to play games and install an animation software. This info was advised for my forthcoming purpose.
I have an A8n32sli board.
Appreciate your kindness and wish you well.
dustime

#4 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

What was your previous security suite?
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#5 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

Dustime,

That "selective" startup may have been there for a reason. So it may be worth putting it back for now.

The last tab on the msconfig console is "startup". I am curious what is listed there. As this list tells you what programs run when you first start.
Any chance of a screen shot of what you have there ?

Also did you actually try to install your old security software on x64 bit ? Which is why sjoeii has asked. Or was this a fresh install of the O/S then Kaspersky added ?