Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

USB or SATA, Firewire HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

The old box needs a serious make over.

I am thinking of investing in more serious backups with imaging. Now this main box has 2 x 150 GB drives.
Now the questions I find that arise from this

1. Is it worth going internal, or external, USB or SATA, or even Firewire ?

2. Is is optional to run something as big as double size for 2 images.

3. How sucessful are images containing all programs versus raw O/S'

4. Software that will cover doing all or the above. Considering it is a AMD dual core/Nvidia combo(chipset and video)
this is restricting the technology I can use. IE most free programs, will not cover the system from looking around.
So this will be an expense as well as the HDD

Thanks

#2 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

1. If your Mobo supports it go with an external eSata hard drive, if not i would go with an internal Sata.
2. i don't think i understand that
3. well they work, problem like with raw OS is gonig after updates for them at roolback
4. i use Acronis, and i can use BartPe to create a rescue disk with included chipset drivers (but i don't need it, my hard drives are set to be seen as IDE from the bios)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#3 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for some feedback Lucian.

1. The Mobo doesn't mention eSata, and nothing IDE on this board, so you believe plain Sata/internal would be the best.
(ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe)

2. I was wondering if it was worth storing 2 different images, for comparisons more than anything. Even holding the second computers image.
Does imaging over a network work ?

3. Raw O/S I was refering to was after adding all updates off Microsoft. On a side note, is it worth having all drivers included ? Reason being this board has chipset/network drivers in one. I have not seen a way around this, and last time chipset drivers were updated, a repair of Windows was needed to get everything running properly.

4. Acronis seems to be the ducks guts, and as yet more than likely be the candidate. Last time I was asking this question, even it didn't support SATA Raid for re-imaging, no doubt since then it has been updated to deal with this setup.

Thanks

norwegian

#4 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

1. yes
2. probably not, not unless you are so hot on burning hard drive space
3. wel if you don't update the drivers very often, then you can include them
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#5 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

I have finally bought a HDD, and have a tool to image. (If you hadn't already been alerted to. :) )

There is a problem setting it up however, and not sure what is happening. Hopefully someone can enlighten me to what I've done; this may include something that happened when RKU killed KIS in one of my tests in the beta stage, as the readings on install are similar to that event, and not sure why.

Basically the story starts in this topic - http://www.dslreport...8-m2n32sli-raid

If there is anyone that can figure out what I'm missing on setting up the RAID, or what has happened to stop it working, I would appreciate the feedback. Everything in the bios seems perfectly fine. Could I have damaged the HDD's somehow ?

Thanks

#6 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

have you made a floppy with the nvidia drivers - for the windows system you are installing - 32 or 64 bit? When booting from the cd insert the floppy. Then, exactly after you start windows setup (the blue screen which has a grey bar at the bottom saying what drivers it loads appears) you should have something in the lower part saying "press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party raid r scsi driver" press f6 and you should be presented with a screen which lets you choose with drivers to load. load the ones from the floppy and continue as usual

i don't know how your ASUS mainboard manual is, but the msi NF4 one specifies what to do (it even delivers the floppy):

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg

#7 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

Hello Lucian.

32 -bit

I have tried twice with 2 different floppies for the drivers, the second floppy did actually give an error screen for not finding the HDD's. The first didn't even get that far. I still get an error on finding the array. Ive even added a link to the manual for raid in the dslr link.

Also I have started a link over at the ASUS forums now, and it seems others are having issues, even though this board is over a year old now. Hopefully someone can pinpoint what I'm missing.

http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us

#8 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

well, i hope you get help.
also, how about if you don't put any floppy, but instead use a windows xp cd with all patches installed. I know this might sound illeagl, but search the torrents for eth editions of windows. As long as you have a legit key the actual CD shouldn't matter. But first you should try it on vmware to see if the edition you downlaoded accepts your product key.

Another thing you should try is if it works without the RAID array (i never had a raid array, but if i recall it's sometimes possible to migrate later from within windows by using the manufacturer's product)

#9 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:32 AM

I have finally got the raid array up and running.

My problem now is the 4 "unknown" disks, are in fact USB mass storage devices.
Installing causes them to go before my HDD, so it becomes I:/

I have looked in bios, not there, looked in the boot menu, not there, DBan run, FDisk run, updated bios, cleared cmos, and still no luck figuring where I can control these.

Uninstalling them I loose my boot.ini, so any idea Lucian on what I have to do next?
Been up most the night presently. Too close to give up :)

#10 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

you should be able to disable the USB controller in the bios, install windows without them active and finish up, enable them last after installing everything you need. theoretically then you should achieve the performance of having c: as HDD, if i understand correctly.

another thing you can try is simply to change your drive letter in the disk management. Normally this should not affect booting as in boot.ini it is seen through another type of id: ( multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) )
But it might affect other stuff you run from your hard drive (as I is now C but the links aren't changed)

#11 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for the help on this. It seems that my card reader, which had never worked with the original bios, has since been rectified. I have disconnected this item, cleared cmos, and reloaded Raid, and the array.

Presently it is formatting just fine. It has been a learning curve to say the least, being my first Raid.

Seems if all else goes well, my only problem will be keeping 3 HDD's cool during summer, as they will be one on top of the other. Pity external are twice the price of internal. Unless the card reader goes, as it has the only other spot spare.

I believe it is all smooth sailing from here.

Any solid rumours on the next beta :)

#12 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:20 AM

Sorry, i can't divulge more information then on the forum (beta testing for v8 starts October) :)

#13 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:47 AM

Will this be alpha or beta?
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club