Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - -

Whitelisting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 godofwar

godofwar

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

I read this article( cant find it now) that described why antivirus solutions will be useless in a couple of years due to a new method of computer protection called whitelisting. The Software whitelists all the good software and only allows those to run, instead of blacklisting millions of malware, viruses. This is done to an extent via the Vista's User Account Control feature that doesn't let anything run on your comp without your permission. I think whitelisting is a great idea and should've been considered much earlier when microsoft started signing compatible software. I was just wondering how is Kaspersky adapting to and implementing whitelisting protocols.

#2 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:25 AM

that AVID isn't valid, because whitelisting it relies on the intelligence of the user, decision of a user to run certain program etc. plus some files can't be whitelisted but they might be malicious.
Whitelisting works, but not alone, you need some other system too.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)