Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

I’m on dial up.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Rodfish

Rodfish

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

quote name='Jingtian' post='33101' date='Dec 23 2007, 03:16']70-80 MB/s download speed! Wow! -_-[/quote]

Hi,
Here in England, we have a choice, dial-up-cable-satellite, and a choice of speeds, so everyone is catered for, PLUS unlike China our GOOGLE is not state controlled and we can view all about Tibet.

Regards,

Rodfish

Attached Thumbnails

• harmony.jpg
  • harmony.jpg

Edited by Rodfish, 01 February 2008 - 01:45 AM.

#32 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hi Rodfish,
very nice photos :lol:

With peace and harmony.

#33 bradavon

bradavon

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:58 AM

The benefit of dail up for me is that I pay much less.

You voluntarily went for Dial-up???

I don't know where you live but I'm very surprised to hear you can save money with Dial-up. You pay by the minute with Dial-up. I'd think you can find a cheap 256Kbps/512Kbps/1Mb deal for less than Dial-up costs you. That's how it is in The UK anyway.

Find one with a low cap too (say 1Gb).

CONS
Expensive

South East Asia is annoyingly years behind the West for Broadband. I hear you're lucky if you can even get it and because of that they charge for it. It's dirt cheap in the UK.

This will be the only way I can hook up to the internet shortly. ADSL or Cable needs a location to connect to, where as dial up just needs a phone line.

ADSL works over a phone line, it's cable that doesn't.

Granted it needs to be a Digital line though, but again depending where you live most of Europe (I think) has had ADSL compatible lines for years.

Dial up here is at 56 Kbps

I'd be surprised if you connect at that every time though. It always was "up to 56Kbps" when in reality you're lucky if you can get 50Kbps.

It's 20Mbps

I can get that in my area, maybe 30Mb but it costs a bomb so I use 8Mb from another provider.

8Mb is the top most providers offer in the UK. To get 20Mb/30Mb you need to be on special networks.

Now I read in an article some time back that any standard copper phone line was only good to 33.6 kps, which is most likely why the 33.6 modem was introduced. The 56k modem I read also was mainly a sales gimmick.

If the copper line is only analogue then yes correct you can only get 33.6Kbps but on a digital copper line you can in theory get 56Kbps, but usually it's 44-50Kbps.

EDIT: This thread is ancient :)

Edited by bradavon, 14 February 2008 - 06:04 AM.

#34 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

quote name='Jingtian' post='33101' date='Dec 23 2007, 03:16']70-80 MB/s download speed! Wow! ;)

Hi,
Here in England, we have a choice, dial-up-cable-satellite, and a choice of speeds, so everyone is catered for, PLUS unlike China our GOOGLE is not state controlled and we can view all about Tibet.

Regards,

Rodfish

Where did you get the picture? The items in it are very typical Chinese items.

#35 Rodfish

Rodfish

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:25 AM

Where did you get the picture? The items in it are very typical Chinese items.

Hi,
There many web sites that show pictures of that type, such as

http://www.dailyzen.com/

also some of the words can be inspirational.

Regards,

Rodfish.

Attached Thumbnails

• 104.jpg
  • 524.jpg

#36 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi,
There many web sites that show pictures of that type, such as

http://www.dailyzen.com/

also some of the words can be inspirational.

Regards,

Rodfish.

The site is interesting. There are many websites of this type in China, too.

Regards,
Jingtian

#37 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

It somehow started all with dial-up.
Currently probably many users won`t even have a clue about the AT command set.
When I began interaction with other users in other countries, it was quite different from today. I frequented a BBS which had TWO modems, so THREE users could be active there simultaneity (WHOW!). At some point I sponsored them a third modem, now the place got crowded :blink:

The whole board was full with REAL information, SPAM was not existing. In contrast, I just came across some (compromised) host, which had more than thousand NEW entries (all from today) in a forum section where guests can post without registration.

I always had (and still have) my modem/router devices directly visible. With dialup you see a LED blinking on each key stroke, if you do nothing, it should be silent (besides automatic tasks like mail check etc.) that`s a nice way to spot malicious activity at lowest level.

Well times change, when I bought my first "high-speed" modem, a ZyXEL doing 2400 BAUD, I didn`t even know why I would need such *ahem* speed. My use of the "net" was just sending and receiving TEXT data, about 3, 4 minutes and I had enough sent and received to read and reply for many offline hours.

Those times are long gone. Today the net is filled with "stuff", I really don`t need. The wanted information is only found after much filtering, accompanied with MUCH other, irrelevant data and this is "standard" annoyance, widely accepted.

I for one will never forget those old days when each online minute was costly and one would try to compress all online tasks to as quick as possible done and not WASTE precious time on bloat.

Cheers,
Micha

Thank you dear Micha. Your words really resonates with me.

#38 jangal

jangal

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

I don't know where you live but I'm very surprised to hear you can save money with Dial-up. You pay by the minute with Dial-up. I'd think you can find a cheap 256Kbps/512Kbps/1Mb deal for less than Dial-up costs you. That's how it is in The UK anyway.

yes i agree with you. you have two pay twice : one for using telephone , two for internet connection.

about one years ago i had dial up and pay about 30$ for two mounts. but now i have 128Kbps , 3 GB ,6 mounts ,30 $.

????? ??? ?? ?? ???? ??? ________ ????? ?? ??? ???? ???

Posted Image

#39 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

@ jangal: I am highspeed for years now.