Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

I’m on dial up.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:05 AM

Hi friends,
I decided to use Dial up for a while and I see I was a bit addicted to DSL….
At first I wasn’t comfortable with Dial up, but I see now it works and I don’t need that high speed.
The benefit of dail up for me is that I pay much less.

<<edited by request>>

Edited by sjoeii, 11 August 2007 - 09:05 AM.

#2 Littlem129

Littlem129

Crew Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

AHSO,

Your not alone, I'm on dial-up also. :) Mine connects at 48kbps.

Although I have never been fortunate enough to have DSL or Cable internet.

So in that respect it's better for me to not miss what I have never had. :)

You only live once, enjoy life and make the most of it!

KIS 15.0.1.415(B)
WIN 7 SP1 3GB RAM
DSL (finally!)
MBAM (on demand only)

#3 Baz^^

Baz^^

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Guys, I feel for you. Whenever I head back to my flat in Belarus, I am stuck with snailspace dial up. At least here I can download at 8MB thank god. Work is even faster.

Dial up is torture :lol:
Kaspersky Lab Personal Security Professional
http://malwarecrawler.com Spam bots look here!

#4 ENIAC 2

ENIAC 2

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:55 AM

Ahh but Dial-up does have some pros, it takes the bogeyman (cracker/hacker) longer to get you. :) I've had my MSN dial-up since Jan 01 and have been satisfied with it. I do realize though that the time is coming that we will all have to go high speed since the updates and other downloads are getting larger plus a lot of web apps require faster connections. I have been considering high speed but would have to go Satelite as I live in the wayback where cable is not an option. Downside to satelite is weather conditions when it rains and is overcast, connection is crappy. Heck, that's when ya need the access. I may just run two, keep my dial-up and use the high speed for downloads.
Seemed like the thing to do at the time!

#5 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for your sympathy
Eniac, I'm agree with you.

later and Good luck

#6 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

Ahh but Dial-up does have some pros, it takes the bogeyman (cracker/hacker) longer to get you. :( I've had my MSN dial-up since Jan 01 and have been satisfied with it. I do realize though that the time is coming that we will all have to go high speed since the updates and other downloads are getting larger plus a lot of web apps require faster connections. I have been considering high speed but would have to go Satelite as I live in the wayback where cable is not an option. Downside to satelite is weather conditions when it rains and is overcast, connection is crappy. Heck, that's when ya need the access. I may just run two, keep my dial-up and use the high speed for downloads.

Can be but I still like my 20 MB
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#7 dawgg

dawgg

Veteran

• Founders
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

ha ha ha! dialup? i laugh upon thee!
I remember back in the days (around 5 years ago) when i had dialup... took 5-6 attempts to connect to the internet, stay on and it disconnects you after an hour, complaints from friends/family they cant call because telephone line is always busy, takes 5 mins to login and check your mail... and if you have an attachment, takes 10 min downloading it with downloads usually going less then 4kb/s and surfing sites with pictures takes aagessss... and video's even longer!

#8 4v1mess

4v1mess

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

I remember dial-up, it was slow, so really slow Posted Image
Going Broadband was the best thing I`ve ever done :hi:
You must not lose faith in humanity.
Humanity is an ocean;
if a few drops of the ocean are dirty,
the ocean does not become dirty.
Posted Image

#9 Soumik Ghosh

Soumik Ghosh

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

I'm too on dial-up, but I don't get frequent disconnections. In fact, I don't get disconnected at all. :)

Edited by Soumik Ghosh, 19 August 2007 - 07:38 AM.

#10 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

I'm too on dial-up, but I don't get frequent disconnections. In fact, I don't get disconnected at all. :)

Hi Soumik Ghosh & welcome
That's good to hear but it must be very slow

#11 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

Six years ago I used dial-up in the university domitory. Once when I was chatting with one of my netpals who had just sent me her photo, another guy was so eager to see the photo that he tripped over the wire on the floor and the power was off. I plugged in the computer again quickly, pressed the power, tried the reconnect, but dial-up failed a dozen times. When it got reconnected and I signed in the QQ(a Chinese instant messenger like ICQ), my netpal was gone.

#12 Accelerator

Accelerator

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Ah...dial up. I had mine connect at 48kbps, it was OK I guess.....now I have a 128K connection, and though its not anything hot it made all the difference in net speeds for me :P

#13 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

Ah...dial up. I had mine connect at 48kbps, it was OK I guess.....now I have a 128K connection, and though its not anything hot it made all the difference in net speeds for me :P

Wow man
That's still very slow

#14 Micha

Micha

Rookie

• KL Team
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

It somehow started all with dial up.
Currently probably many users won`t even have a clue about the AT command set.
When I began interaction with other users in other countries, it was quite different from today. I frequented a BBS which had TWO modems, so THREE users could be active there simultanely (WHOW!). At some point I sponsored them a third modem, now the place got crowded :)

The whole board was full with REAL information, SPAM was not existing. In contrast, I just came across some (compromised) host, which had more than thousand NEW entries (all from today) in a forum section where guests can post without registration.

I always had (and still have) my modem/router devices directly visible. With dialup you see a LED blinking on each key stroke, if you do nothing, it should be silent (besides automatic tasks like mail check etc.) that`s a nice way to spot malicious activity at lowest level.

Well times change, when I bought my first "high speed" modem, a ZyXEL doing 2400 BAUD, I didn`t even know why I would need such *ahem* speed. My use of the "net" was just sending and receiving TEXT data, about 3, 4 minutes and I had enough sent and received to read and reply for many offline hours.

Those times are long gone. Today the net is filled with "stuff", I really don`t need. The wanted information is only found after much filtering, accompanied with MUCH other, unrelevant data and this is "standard" annoyance, widely accepted.

I for one will never forget those old days when each online minute was costly and one would try to compress all online tasks to as quick as possible done and not WASTE precious time on bloat.

Cheers,
Micha

#15 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

Wow man
That's still very slow

Yes, that’s too slow, if you experienced surfing the web with 5Mbps, then using 128 would be really slow too.

sjoeii, your cable internet has speed 20 Mega byte per second or Mega bit per second?