Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo
- - - - - 1 votes

Virtual Machine

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hi
Do you use any virtual PC software? if so, what software and where are you using it for?

I started using VMWare recently to do some more safe testing.
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#2 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

I use Microsoft Virtual PC to test softwares, usually av programs vs active malwares :) . Sometimes for surfing the internet too....

#3 TonyW

TonyW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

The problem with these type of programs is that they sometimes only work on certain Windows installations. For example, according to Microsoft, Virtual PC doesn't run on XP Home, but on XP Professional. Not much use to someone who has the Home version then.

#4 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

that's true.
but i bet that virtual pc will run on xp home if you manage to install it (orca should come in handy) and that this is only some Microsoft policy.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#5 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:54 AM

As I said I installed VMWare on XP and it is working great. Installed Vista Ultimate to test.
The virtual environment is very slow. haven't been able to do much testing. :P

#6 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:39 AM

The virtual environment is very slow. haven't been able to do much testing.

intall the vmware tools for each operating system, there should be a noticable performance gain.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#7 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

intall the vmware tools for each operating system, there should be a noticable performance gain.

Thanx
I installed it on XP and on this virtual machine I installed Vista at the moment. This is the only thing running

#8 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:01 AM

So did you went to VM->install vmware tools... confirm with ok (yes) and launched the setup wizard in the VM?

#9 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

So did you went to VM->install vmware tools... confirm with ok (yes) and launched the setup wizard in the VM?

I tried the install VMWare tools stopped several times. It told me that I first had to install OS and than install vmware tools. I did part but than it took ages.....
I'll try again tonight when I get home. So the install of these tools will do the trick?

Thanx for the help by the way

#10 SirMalware

SirMalware

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have used VMWare and MS Virtual PC. These days, a lot of the malware files out there will not run in a virtual environment. They have gotten "smarter". It has gotten to the point where you have to test malware from a real test box with a cloned hard drive close by.

#11 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

I have used VMWare and MS Virtual PC. These days, a lot of the malware files out there will not run in a virtual environment. They have gotten "smarter". It has gotten to the point where you have to test malware from a real test box with a cloned hard drive close by.

For me it is working on vmware altough it is very slow. What malware are you testing?

#12 SirMalware

SirMalware

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:30 AM

What malware are you testing?

Mostly new, poorly detected malware found on various Google searches. A lot of it will shut down as soon as it finds out it's inside a virtual machine.

#13 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:06 AM

Mostly new, poorly detected malware found on various Google searches. A lot of it will shut down as soon as it finds out it's inside a virtual machine.

Aha
Not a perticular kind? Trojan, virus, worm? Are these detected by Kaspersky?

#14 SirMalware

SirMalware

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:12 AM

Not a perticular kind? Trojan, virus, worm?

Usually trojans.

Are these detected by Kaspersky?

Sometimes, but usually not.

#15 Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Wow! I haven't knew and heard before that malwares could detect where are they running. SirMalware, do you install the VMWare tools for VMWare or VM Additions for MS VPC? Those malwares might be detecting whether they are running in a virtual environment or not by checking those softwares ;) .