Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

- - - - -

Windows XP SP2 editions

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

What is the difference between Corporate, RTM & Retail?

#2 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

rtm is a development stage, rtm=ready to manufactuer, final, it's not a edition. (like with kav you have alpha, beta, release candidate & RTM)
corporate is for corporations (usually when you buy it you get a volume license key)
retail is the one for the avverage user you can buy in the store, oposite to OEM, it can be still used when you change the mainboard in your pc, or your pc.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

How can I identify my current version?

#4 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

basically, when it comes to just files on the hard drive, they are identical, the license gives you te difference between retail & corporate. for that you have to check the documents from microsoft.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

Do you have any ideas about a release of Windows XP SP2 will all the hotfixes and updates included in it?

#6 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

microsoft doesn't release that, but you can try to create your own version with a program like Nlite. (of course you need the patches first, autopatcher is a good source to get them)
http://www.nliteos.com/ (guides are included on the page)

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

Its too complex for me to create that nliteos CD....
Do you have any hotlinks to download an updated version?

#8 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

With Microsoft Sunny, you can get a XP SP2 disk off Microsft, what level of updates in on the disk, I can not say. They have a link, can't remember it right now, where you return your XP, XP SP1 disks for an updated XP disk. It is all free of charge, just cost of returning the CD.

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

I've tried what you have said at the local stores...They say that there is no such release from microsoft!

#10 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

You have to contact Microsoft. I will see if I can find the online link to do this for you.

I think this link will do it

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

#11 Accelerator

Accelerator

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

You can just download XP SP2 from Microsoft's site, and the CD order link norwegian provided works. Its free of charge. Since you live in India, You can also contact Microsoft's India branch and order this CD (Its free). The resellers will probably not help you, only Microsoft's branch will.

As for updated releases, I remember that when I purchased by copy of XP Home in late 2003, the XP installation disc I got was already slipstreamed with SP1+all latest updates. If you order another Windows XP license today, you will probably get an updated version with SP2 + updates.

#12 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

Accelerator,

Microsoft has always had a policy of supplying you with the latest full CD if you returned your old one. This isnt about just the SP2 updates, they will supply the O/S + updates. Doubt it will have all updates that we need for SP3 which hopefully will be out one day.

There is no need to get a new licence to get access to this. Same as you can return your win 95, 98 and update CD for XP and they will return a full XP CD, which obviously includes everything to SP2. The other updates you will still need to download. 90 odd updates. Compiled myself for the same reason. These will as Lucian said are either slipstreamed or installed via the site.

If XPSunny wants to install fresh on others computers, slipstreaming is the only way to avoid using your internet allowance until Microsoft release another service pack, or downloading seperately and saving to disk, and going through all the prompts to install the 90 one at a time. The sooner the better they release it too.

• Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

I've discussed this issue with my friends, they say that the CD which microsoft provides by exchange only contains Windows XP SP2 "without" the hotfixes, IE 7, WMP 11, etc.

I've found many sites that provide fully updated versions of windows xp but they are not at all reliable.

If anyone finds a site that has Windows XP SP2 fully updated version uploaded on their servers then please let me know the site....

#14 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:22 AM

Would you trust it ? Security product forum, and you request this. Seems you might be better asking in a P2P site, as anyone who posts a link of this nature here, could be sending you a hacked O/S, and it wouldn't matter what you installed for security. Who needs rootkits if you think along this avenue sunny.

#15 Accelerator

Accelerator

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:29 AM

Maybe one thing can be done...If you can acquire the Windows XP+SP2 installation disc, then you can download AutoPatcher's latest release (http://www.autopatcher.com) and burn it on a CD. After you have installed Windows XP+SP2, you can simply run AutoPatcher and install all the updates. No internet connection needed. You can see the fixes for Windows XP currently provided by downloading the latest AutoPatcher:

http://www.autopatch.../autopatcherxp/

The only other way is to get all the updated files slipstreamed into Windows. Not a simple process.