Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Best Response Time

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IStogov

IStogov

Crew Chief

• Founders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Ranking Response Times for Anti-Virus Programs

Response_times.JPG

Anti-virus researcher Andreas Marx of Av-Test.org has concluded an annual round of testing to see how well the various anti-virus programs responded to recent outbreaks of viruses and worms. The results appear to show that while the major anti-virus products are still having trouble keeping up with the massive glut of new malware, most are starting to do a better job.

Marx measured how quickly the anti-virus products responded with updates enabling them to detect variants of the largest 16 Windows worm outbreaks of 2005, including "Bagle," "Bobax," "Bropia," "Fatso," "Kelvir," "Mydoom," "Mytob," "Sober" and "Wurmark."

Average Response Time -- Product Name
Between 0 and 2 hours------>Kaspersky
Between 2 and 4 hours------>BitDefender, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Norman, Sophos
Between 4 and 6 hours------>AntiVir, Command, Ikarus, Trend Micro
Between 6 and 8 hours------>F-Prot, Panda
Between 8 and 10 hours----->AVG, Avast, eTrust-INO, McAfee, VirusBuster
Between 10 and 12 hours---->Symantec
Between 12 and 14 hours---->[none]
Between 14 and 16 hours---->[none]
Between 16 and 18 hours---->[none]
Between 18 and 20 hours---->eTrust-VET
More than 20 hours----------->[none]

For the record, here were the response times from similar tests Marx conducted last year:

Average Response Time -- Product Name
Between 0 and 2 hours------->[none]
Between 2 and 4 hours------->BitDefender, Kaspersky
Between 4 and 6 hours------->AntiVir, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Panda, RAV
Between 6 and 8 hours------->Quickheal, Sophos
Between 8 and 10 hours------>AVG, Command, F-Prot, Norman, Trend Micro, VirusBuster
Between 10 and 12 hours---->Avast, eTrust-CA
Between 12 and 14 hours---->Ikarus, McAfee
Between 14 and 16 hours---->eTrust-VET, Symantec

The research shows improvements by several anti-virus makers, including Kaspersky, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Norman, Symantec, Sophos, F-Prot, Avast, McAfee and VirusBuster. Anti-virus products that fared worse in this year's test include Panda and eTrust-VET (the latter being the same virus engine used by Zonelabs Antivirus).

It is also interesting to note that some of the free anti-virus software out there (AntiVir, Avast, AVG, e.g.) actually fared better than some of the more widely used products, like McAfee and Symantec. The notable exception was the free anti-virus engine eTrust VET, which again ranked among the slowest for the second year running.

Response times are, of course, just one measurement of the quality of an anti-virus product. The amount of system resources consumed by each anti-virus product, and the number of false positives (raising the alarm on something that turns out to be innocuous) also are very important factors for many companies and consumers in deciding which product to use.

Marx noted that corporations are extremely intolerant of false-positives, so Symantec, McAfee and other vendors widely used in corporate environments tend to have a more complex quality-assurance process to weed out false positives; this often results in the companies taking longer to get virus definitions in place. On the other hand, smaller anti-virus companies, he said, tend to have more problems with false positives.

Regardless of the strengths and weaknesses of various anti-virus products, it is important to note for Windows users that using any anti-virus product is far safer than having no anti-virus software installed.

http://blog.washingt...es_for_ant.html
я не червонец, чтобы нравиться всем

#2 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

Mmmm, no Nod32 ?

#3 IStogov

IStogov

Crew Chief

• Founders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yes, AV-TEst.org did not include NOD32
я не червонец, чтобы нравиться всем

#4 Pipkin

Pipkin

very valued member

• Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

Who needs any more persuasive words to accept Kaspersky be the best? :(
Posted Image

#5 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

Who needs any more persuasive words to accept Kaspersky be the best? :)

True, as an end-user, why would you look at anything else.

Eugene and his team really do need a pat on the back for the work they have done.

#6 DonKid

DonKid

Veteran

• Gold Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:10 PM

Mmmm, no Nod32 ?

I thought that too.
But I really prefer KIS.:rolleyes:
When the humanity start to realize that there isn't race, creed, politics, money, our planet will be wonderful. Be always a humble person.

#7 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Between 4 and 6 hours------->AntiVir, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Panda, RAV

RAV is a Chinese antivirus software. Good!
Of course, no one is quicker than Kaspersky in terms of response time.

#8 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

it depends, we romanians also had a rav (which was bought by microsoft a while back) i don't know if it still recieved updates last year but now it's dead.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#9 br34ch

br34ch

Rookie

• Gold Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Great news! As I witnessed, NOD32 provides far slower updates than Kaspersky.
Posted Image

#10 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

it depends, we romanians also had a rav (which was bought by microsoft a while back) i don't know if it still recieved updates last year but now it's dead.

Sorry, I guess you are right.
The process of Rising Antivirus is rav.exe, and the folder is RAV, but its name should be Rising, not RAV. So I guess RAV is the Romanian av you mentioned.

#11 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

And I am also sure of that, because RAV is wider known than the chinese product.
Regards,
Michael

#12 Micha

Micha

Rookie

• KL Team
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi lucianbara,

RAV is not dead, at least not completely. A very important part of it lives still in Kaspersky Labs. But what do I tell you, you most certainly are completely aware of Costin Raiu`s involvements with KL.
Here another sample of his upcoming appearances.

Greetings

Hi lucianbara,

RAV is not dead, at least not completely. A very important part of it lives still in Kaspersky Labs. But what do I tell you, you most certainly are completely aware of Costin Raiu`s involvements with KL.
Here another sample of his upcoming appearances.

Greetings

... by the way, did I ever mention , that the greeting, which is "hidden" in my wallpaper (which the avatar is a mini-version of) is actually addressed to KL Romania team? :(

#13 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

Hello micha
I know about costin. (i read his interview for chip romania in 2000 at least a dozend times by now) :D
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#14 Bildos

Bildos

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

I used NOD32 at work for one year. Updates for this AV program was realise avarage one time a day. Somtime twice a day, some times one for 2-3 days.

Edited by Bildos, 30 December 2006 - 05:13 PM.