Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Maintainence of your computer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 lodore

lodore

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

hello,
to keep my computer working well i usse diskeeper to defrag my computer.
my dad uses IE7 so i ticked the box on his account to clean out the tempory files when you close it.
I clean out the tempory files on my account using a batch file.
I download the lastest drivers from the manafactuers websites.
I clean out the windows event viewer.
i also clean out the fans on my pc every so often since my house is very dusty.
lodore

#17 klemtax

klemtax

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

We´ll, since the fan-cleaning came up..

My laptop is placed on a Antec NotebookCooler. Once every month or so I clean the cooler and the laptop for dust.
The other fan for my extra harddrive, still hasn´t been cleaned (it´s an old fan from a stationary computer) since I istalled it for six months ago.
Maybe I want it to go bust so I can buy a new one.. ;)
What, me worry?

Posted Image

#18 AHS0

AHS0

Frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:20 AM

I use CCleaner, it’s very good.

Also when unsuccessful uninstalling KIS with Add/Remove program wizard, CCleaner’s uninstall tool, is great help.

Do you scan for issues too?( Registry Integrity)
Have you enabled the advanced menus, which aren’t enabled by default? Any advice on tweaking CCleaner setup?

You have to be careful on that point. There are sprays that seem to be compressed air, but have a freezing agent for the electronics as well. Doesn't help to blow dust out, after it has been wet and forced with air. It actually forms a coat. Tried once. :hi:

Read the can to make sure it is just air.

I tried Dust Off canned air, for once and it’s very good. On the can is printed keep upright. Don’t shake!

What about cheap electric blowers sold at computer accessories shops. I use those to blow the dust and its very effective.

Which brand is your electric dust blower?

#19 emmpe

emmpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

Good morning to you all. I'm new on this forum so I will start with a humble question. Some (alleged) electronics savvies have ensured me that you never should mess with the dust inside a computer. They claim it's very aggressive, grinding away on soldering material and those small, sensitive components. Any expert views on that, anybody? BTW I use Webroot's Windows Washer daily on schedule, it once was offered for free with SpySweeper. No problems, ever. Likewise with jv16 ProTools, really handy thing.

#20 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

Welcome emmpe,

That may be just so with dust, but it is only proportionate to the force in which the air cleaning it off is applied, being as it can get into areas that it wasn't to start with, and then harder to get out, but it is less than the issue with power/static/earthing issues of dust, due to the small amount of power running a computer at the electronics. Static replacing parts can ruin a mobo or the parts you are fitting. It can cause all sorts of problems for bearings etc too.

You may have also got dust confused with the electronic alcohol sprays around, now the wrong one there can affect solderings, electronics etc.

#21 Falcon

Falcon

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

For cleaning my PC I always use EasyCleaner, CCleaner, O&O Defrag.
Мой номер в ICQ: 285975011
Добро пожаловать в Мой Блог.
Если ваш компьютер заражен, выполните эти правила, и оформите запрос в топике "Помощь по продуктам".
Также настоятельно рекомендуем ознакомиться с правилами поведения на форуме.

#22 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:03 PM

For cleaning my PC I always use EasyCleaner, CCleaner, O&O Defrag.

Haven't used EasyCleaner before. How good is it?
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#23 Falcon

Falcon

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

This program was created by "ToniArts" company from Finland.
License - FREE!
30 languages supported;
The lastest version you can download here.
Мой номер в ICQ: 285975011
Добро пожаловать в Мой Блог.
Если ваш компьютер заражен, выполните эти правила, и оформите запрос в топике "Помощь по продуктам".
Также настоятельно рекомендуем ознакомиться с правилами поведения на форуме.

#24 Sjoeii

Sjoeii

Kaspersky Club Project Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

Thanx
Will look in to it
http://twitter.com/kaspersky_club

#25 emmpe

emmpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

Since this thread is about maintenance I'd love to see some comment on SpinRite, preferably a negative one for once. I just purchased it myself after seeing what it can do to resurrect an old disk given up as dead, even by bios, but there has to be at least one person in this world who has a contrary opinion of it.

#26 klemtax

klemtax

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

Since this thread is about maintenance I'd love to see some comment on SpinRite, preferably a negative one for once. I just purchased it myself after seeing what it can do to resurrect an old disk given up as dead, even by bios, but there has to be at least one person in this world who has a contrary opinion of it.

Ive just tried it and im sorry... it worked like a charm. :)

Well one negative thing is the serious amount of time it needs to scan a drive. It took 7 hours for a 40GB HD. I wonder how long my 250 will take?
What, me worry?

Posted Image

#27 emmpe

emmpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:59 PM

Ive just tried it and im sorry... it worked like a charm. :)

Well one negative thing is the serious amount of time it needs to scan a drive. It took 7 hours for a 40GB HD. I wonder how long my 250 will take?

Well four or five hours on my 250GB drive with 19GB of system and program files, so I suppose it depends on the amount of data to move around. But I don't see that as a negative factor, really. And my wife is very happy with my leaving the computer alone for a while.

#28 klemtax

klemtax

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:27 AM

And my wife is very happy with my leaving the computer alone for a while.

I know what you mean... :)
What, me worry?

Posted Image

#29 klemtax

klemtax

Young Gun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:03 AM

Well.. I must be doing something wrong with SpinRite.
Started up to analyze my 250GB USB Harddrive and voila! Time estimated for SpinRite was 825 hours!?! :D
Thats about 34,5 days and nights!!

Am I doing something wrong or what???
What, me worry?

Posted Image

#30 emmpe

emmpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

What if you just let it run, won't it modify its estimate after a while?