Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

CD & DVD quality

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jingtian

Jingtian

Frequent poster

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Some of these products are of too poor quality here.
I bought several two rewritable CDs from a very famous French supermarket, but neither worked.
I bought another four (a Taiwanese brand), tried one of them, which didn't work either.
A friend of mine told me that he bought 25 CD-R of the same brand from the same French supermarket, but none of these could be recorded into. He happened to have bought 10 CDs of the same Taiwanese brand, but none of them was good.

#2 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Some of these products are of too poor quality in China.
I bought several two rewritable CDs from a very famous French supermarket, but neither worked.
I bought another four (a Taiwanese brand), tried one of them, which didn't work either.
A friend of mine told me that he bought 25 CD-R of the same brand from the same French supermarket, but none of these could be recorded into. He happened to have bought 10 CDs of the same Taiwanese brand, but none of them was good.

Well, I only use S*ny, T*K and V*****tim DVD's (and I did with CD's too) because other deteriorate too fast or give write errors. They're not the cheapest, but i prefer to pay a little more and have discs that work, than to "save" money and eventually lose it because the discs are no good.
I know, I know, I'm getting off topic :search:
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#3 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

That's not a good criteria, dvds from the same brand may have different manufacturers. I have imation DVD+R and a batch is made by moes braer and another from another manufacturer.
BTW i think splitting this topic might be apropriate.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#4 IcePanther

IcePanther

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:01 AM

Mmmh.... I can't tell for T*K's ones, because I don't find them where I buy DVD's these days, but S*ny DVD's are always made by them, it says it on the disc itself. I believe Ver**tim does the same thing, too. Imation is (i don't know if i'm correct on this point, but at least that's how it's perceived in my surroundings) perceived as a more middle/low-end brand, and they may also use different makers' discs, I trust you on this, because I don't use them myself.

I would have to double-check when I but disks next time, but the ones I bought from S*ny this morning were made by S*ny, and the ones I bought before were, too. Also the material is exactly the same, that would most probably not be the case it it were manufactured by two different companies... Oh well, since it's the same, I don't mind. These are reliable discs, so I buy them.

That was just from my experience anyway, I didn't want to make a rule or something, just to express that I didn't have any problems with these brands but with many other ones I tried, and they were plenty.
IcePanther

Machine : Asus G73JH | i7-720QM(4*1.6~2.8GHz) | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB | 2*500GB@7200 RPM | 1920*1080 17.3" screen | BD Combo
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Fr)
Resident protection : KIS 11.0.0.556a.b

#5 jerryde

jerryde

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

Mmmh.... I can't tell for T*K's ones, because I don't find them where I buy DVD's these days, but S*ny DVD's are always made by them, it says it on the disc itself. I believe Ver**tim does the same thing, too. Imation is (i don't know if i'm correct on this point, but at least that's how it's perceived in my surroundings) perceived as a more middle/low-end brand, and they may also use different makers' discs, I trust you on this, because I don't use them myself.

I would have to double-check when I but disks next time, but the ones I bought from S*ny this morning were made by S*ny, and the ones I bought before were, too. Also the material is exactly the same, that would most probably not be the case it it were manufactured by two different companies... Oh well, since it's the same, I don't mind. These are reliable discs, so I buy them.

That was just from my experience anyway, I didn't want to make a rule or something, just to express that I didn't have any problems with these brands but with many other ones I tried, and they were plenty.

I also buy Verbatim brand DVDs. They are excellent blanks. It's my understanding that Toyo Yuden brand ( made in Japan ) is some of he best you can buy. When buying blanks I look for MIJ in the area of the bar code.
I have also used TDK, Sony ( good quality ) and some of the cheaper ones, kinda flimsy to the touch.
Dell Dimension 8400
P-4 3.0 H/T Enabled
Windows XP SP2
2x512 DDR2 pc2-3200
KAV 6.0.0.303 e
On demand scanners> Spybot S&D 1.4 - Adaware 6 SE personal
Nero 6.6.1.4 - Nec 3500 CD-DVD burner - Benq 1620 CD-DVD burner

#6 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

I always use Verbatim & Imation, but always +R, for some reason (the reason is because it's crap) my dvd-rw destroys 40% of DVD-r blanks upon burning.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#7 Defenestration

Defenestration

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

I use Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02) and Verbatim (MCC). I would never use any discs which did not use TY or MCC dye.