Friends, we are happy to invite you to our NEW Global Kaspersky Club! Please follow this link www.kasperskyclub.com , sign-in and enjoy our new platform!

Photo

Tracert

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

It was mentioned in the official forums that I was seeing my connection drop out when doing a Tracert.
It is my LAN that is doing it, not at the ISP. I was wrong there.

Can anyone shed some light on why this has started. Turning off protection in KIS does not change anything.
Turning DNS on/off for my internal LAN makes no difference.

Any networkers out there know or seen this before. I have created a new connection and no change.
Rebooted the modem then the router, no change.

Also with this board (ASUS M2N32 SLI), the network drivers come with the chipset, so it will be a major job to start there, as I will have to repair Windows, and a very large update list.

Greatly appreciated for any advice.

Thanks.

#2 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

you coud be experiencing packetfragmentation (i had that too under linux & lowering the MTU was the solution)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#3 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for looking in Lucian.

I tried as suggested for adjusting MTU, from this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159

When attempting the edit on the Protocols key, I find no pop-up window appears for an edit, via the topbar, nor on the key itself.

What may be stopping this ?

1. Tried turning KIS off
2. Disconected, and tried connected too.

What would be stopping the edit on this key...

Anyway. I will try in "Safe Mode" and see.

Ah late night and me not concentrating.

I edited the keys, first to 1492, then tried 1400, with a reboot in between each.

None of this changed the dropping of the connection with tracert.....

#4 Lucian Bara

Lucian Bara

Jedi Master

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

trie it to a abnormally low value (500 for eg)

also i recall issues with services disappearing on your pc. maybe it's time for a format.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2,2GHz, Msi Asus P5PL2-E, 2048MB-DDR2 (2*1024), Leadtek PX6600 256MB, Teac DV-W516GA, Leadtek tv2000 xp Expert, HDD 200GB*2 (sata/sata2)

#5 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

It seems to be some sort of corruption, as you may be suggesting.

I noticed, no matter what MTU was added, it automatically became the following -

Base - Hexadecimal,

Even though the link suggests doing exactly the opposite, and setting it to "Decimal".

Go figure....... :P

No wonder the network drops out....

Edit: It was noticable though, in changing MTU, the page loading was slowed in relation
to the settings lowering, so we can asume it may be working correctly.

#6 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

I asked in the Networking forum at DSLR, and it is a strange one. Anyone care to puzzle on what is happening. Or laugh, it doesn't matter....

Broad shoulders, and thick skin, so I can handle it. :cray:

http://www.dslreport...remark,17986756

#7 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

Try TCP Optimizer.
Regards,
Michael

#8 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

We diagnosed to a less than year old Linksys router. Everything works, except when its in the loop. I havent gone back to factory reset, nor looked at replacing it under warranty. Linksys are on the way out for me. Cisco or not.

Anyone know a good reliable one. Id like a hardware firewall, but finances are looking after the kids before my toys.

My modem is a router too, but it doesn't have SPI, just NAPT, and SPI would be a nice addition.

I was told Netgear, any others worth looking at ?

#9 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

You can try either Linksys WRT54GL or ASUS WL-500G Premium. Both have support for 3rd party firewalls, like DD-WRT. You can get a lot of features at a small price. Take a look.
Regards,
Michael

#10 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

I had thought of using a model that uses a third party firewall, but seeing as presently, I have no laptop, I cant see the point of having my boxes on wireless, they are all hard-wired.

I have heard of this software, but haven't seen it in action yet.

#11 FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

The Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

All I can say is that it's very good. Think about all those features. No worries about the Wireless stuff, it can be disabled. It's not worth buying a router without a wireless module.
Regards,
Michael

#12 norwegian

norwegian

Frequent poster

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Maybe I will look into it then. It seems a lot of people use the Linksys router, but seeing as I'm teaching myself, and my last experiences with some of the Linksys techs couldnt even get real double Nat happening just for a test play for me, let alone knowing how to set up the router behind my modem/router in bridge mode, and now this. I'm not happy of Linksys, and some outsiders have asked why I even bought it. Not much for the confidence considering I thought I was adding SPI to my connection. My modem/router in front of this has lasted 3 1/2 years, a free flash update etc, and still outperforms the Leakyboat.